Reset OutPost Firewall

Discussion in 'other firewalls' started by tekkaman, Dec 14, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. tekkaman

tekkaman Registered Member

Hi everyone,

I'm having a problem with my laptop. The problem is internet is very unstable. Anything that is big enough downloads corrupted. For example, let's say I'm loading a big picture from a website. It downloads halfway and the other part is corrupted. Flash doesn't work either only a second of the video and then it stops. I tried another laptop and the other laptop works fine so it's not my ISP. At first I thought it was the wifi card but with lan I have the problem as well although it's even worse with wifi. I scanned the computer with Eset Nod32 7 and with malwarebytes and nothing was found. I checked the task manager and startup and I don't see anything suspicious. So I was thinking it might be a problem with Outpost firewall. Is there a way to reset it without uninstalling it ? I'm using version 7.6 because I don't like version 8's interface at all.

2. SweX

SweX Registered Member

Hello tekkaman.

ESET sometimes have incompatibility issues with Outpost because of the many features it have it's not only a firewall.

For a start, have you set exclusions for Outpost in ESET and vice versa to see if it makes a difference?

3. tekkaman

Well to be honest it was working fine with Eset Nod32 6 since V6 came out. Maybe the problem started when I installed V7. But in anyrate I'll check your suggestion and report back.

4. SweX

SweX Registered Member

Yeah try that. Note I don't use Outpost myself I use ESS, but it's not the first time I read that Outpost and NOD32 V7 is angry at eachother ;) And Yes that is what I have heard before too that it worked fine with ESET V6. Afaik ESET is not incompatible with the firewall itself, but some of the protection features that come with Outpost, it's more than a firewall as you probably know.

There are important improvements and new features in ESET V7 so things like this can happen when either Outpost or ESET release a new version.

Could be good to know what OS you use too?

Some say it works "better" if ESET is installed first and Outpost after, so uninstalling and reinstalling Outpost could be something you may want to try as well as a quick fix, if the exclusions fail. :doubt:

5. trott3r

trott3r Registered Member

I am using outpost and eset v7 anitivirus.

I just went through the eset configuration and disabled everything that outpost does
    eg hip
    website filtering
    etc

6. SweX

SweX Registered Member

Are you saying that you disabled the Web protection in ESET V7?

7. trott3r

yes
    outpost does that itself

8. SweX

SweX Registered Member

Does what exactly? It sounds like you believe that all the Web Protection in ESET V7 does is to block access to websites :doubt:

9. JoeBlack40

JoeBlack40 Registered Member

HIPS yes,but disabling NOD32's web protection in Outpost's favor is a very bad move.

10. tekkaman

Well I reset Outpost by going to settings configuration and selecting new. That erased all settings like it was a new install. Still the same problem. After searching Eset forums someone with the same problem posted that by disabling "protocol filtering" the problem was solved. I tested it and it was true. But the thing is when you disable that you loose web scanning and anti phishing. So I went back to Eset 6. I thought this was a problem with Outpost but it's something that Eset did that makes them incompatible with each other.

Edit: I forgot to say that if you install Outpost without web control it will work as well with Eset V7.

Last edited: Dec 16, 2013
  11. trott3r

Ok so two suggestions to re-enable esets web protection.

Is it better than agnitums in detection of a compromised site or is there something else it does?

12. SweX

SweX Registered Member

Yes it's better, Yes it does more than just block access to websites.

I don't want to go into details about it, but an ESET official once said that if you disable the Web Protection in ESET then you'd be better off uninstalling the whole product because of the decrease in protection, so that may say a little bit about how effective it is, and how important it is to keep it enabled. My own opinion about it is that it is a very very effective layer!

One should never disable anything in an AV unless one is aware of how it affects the performance of the product.

Last edited: Dec 19, 2013
  13. trott3r

I disabled it as its duplicated in Outpost.

Tried enabling in eset and disabled in outpost sadly eset when clicking on enable just stays off.

The pop menu up recognises a mouse click as it goes away. :(

14. SweX

SweX Registered Member

So you still have the Web Protection disabled in ESET? :doubt:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.