Rescue disk wont scan anything?!

Discussion in 'ESET Smart Security' started by BuckoA51, Apr 10, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. trencan

trencan Eset Staff

So when SysRescue asked you to update defs, what did you do exactly? Did you click "Cancel"? If so, then you cancelled update at all and therefore it is not able to scan any files on HDD, because defs are not loaded. To be able to function correctly, you need to select either update "from installed ESS/EAV on your HDD" or "from web". You can select "from web" also if you don't have internet connection, doesn't matter, SysRescue will try to download update un-successfully and then it uses defs on CD.

To clarify things, you can build SysRescue disk on XP as well as on Vista. You can use SysRescue disc for HDD scan on PC with whatever Win OS installed. Then it's matter only of correct disk drivers in SysRescue. But if you see drives, then there should be no problem with scanning at all.

2. trencan

trencan Eset Staff

That's right. While VD is being downloaded you are not able to scan any files. Reason is that SysRescue doesn't use VD on CD, if it is downloading VD from web. So you need to wait till download is finished.

3. GrammatonCleric

GrammatonCleric Registered Member

Yes made the CD, chose use the av bases found on the CD (same as I did with my previous cd) but now it scanned. :) :D
    Thanks all for all your help.
    The only think I can think of is that maybe the previous CD was .314 versiono_O
    Don't know I chucked it few days ago.
    But I am very happy that it works, thanks all.

4. DarrenDavisLeeSome

DarrenDavisLeeSome Registered Member

Shouldn't have anything to do with it. I'm using the v.314 too. :D

Downloading VD isn't really necessary to run the scan. SysRescue just has to go through the motions of updating. Once it sees that there are no updates available, namely because there is no internet connection, it will load whatever VD is on the disk.

Here's an interesting note: if you have ESS or NOD32 installed on the same system SysRescue will find the VD update package installed. You'll be prompted to choose between that update package or to use the web to download updates.

5. DarrenDavisLeeSome

DarrenDavisLeeSome Registered Member

Just thought of a question.

If SysRescue finds some viruses or spyware on any given system, regardless if ESS or NOD32 is installed on that system, is there a way to copy that log someplace so that virus/spyware files could be submitted later? Or will they have to be submitted while the system is still in the SysRescue Environment?

6. trencan

trencan Eset Staff

SysRescue boots up. It tries to find installed ESS/EAV on all of your HDDs. If there is some with VD newer than it has on CD, it prompts user if to use VD found on HDD or to try to download VD from web. If you click Cancel, then update process is cancelled and it doesn't use any VD. That's why it is then not usable and scanning ends up with 0 scanned files.

If you choose to update from web, then it starts to download VD from internet. This can take same time and during this time it is not possible to use HDD scanning, since SysRescue doesn't use VD on CD in that case. It waits till VD from web are downloaded. If internet connection is not available, SysRescue uses VD on CD.

7. trencan

trencan Eset Staff

As soon as SysRescue is turned off, all changes made to drive X: (system drive for SysRescue) are forgotten. So you need to copy log file to your HDD or USB key. It can be done via copy cmd in shell. Or you can put some file manager when building iso (e.g. FAR). Then launch it when running sysrescue.

8. BuckoA51

BuckoA51 Registered Member

So if the computer has no network connection then we just have to what, wait a moment while it tries to update?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.