Rescue disk problem

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by DLS, Mar 3, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DLS

DLS Registered Member

I have researched the numerous threads on this issue and attempted many of the suggested work-arounds and fixes with no luck.

The TI rescue disk I created works fine in my HP Pavilion laptop. My wife's computer is a Compaq Presario and when I boot from the rescue disk on it, I get the Acronis screen, then a blank screen from which I have to shut down the computer and reboot to Windows.

I have uninstalled and reinstalled TI to no avail.

I am working from a clean install of Win XP Media Center 2005 and TI 8.0 Build 937.

I'm not an uber-techie, but I'm not computer illiterate either. I am totally frustrated and would appreciate any assistance.

2. foghorne

foghorne Registered Member

I would take a two pronged attack :

First raise a support request with acronis. This can take a week to get going and may take a further week or two, but at the end you should end up with a recovery disk which is compatible with your system.

Secondly take a look at BART PE. It allows you to boot up into Windows from a CD. Acronis supply a plugin version of TI which you can use with it.
    Have a look at this from the forum sticky post

https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=162424

BART PE will not only give you a superior environment in which you can add drivers (unlike the Rescue Disk), but you could also add other remedial Windows tools and other programs to if you wanted. The problem is that after you have solved your problem and have a working rescue disk you might actually prefer Bart PE :D

F

3. DLS

DLS Registered Member

Thank you for your response, Fog.

Regarding the BartPE solution, I interpreted Mustang's instructions to say that the BartPE cannot be removed at any time during a recovery operation.

I plan to save my TI backup files on CD, and because there is only one CD drive on the Compaq, do I understand correctly that the BartPE should be created on a USB flash drive so the CD-RW drive is freed up for the TI backup files in a recovery/restore operation?

Thanks again for your help.

4. foghorne

You are absolutely right that you could run into problems. Although some people do store their backups on optical media, my perception is that most store their primary copy of their backups on a secondary disk (internal or external, but not on the source disk). In my eagerness to recommend BART PE I overlooked the fact that you might not have two DVD drives (like me :D ) or that you don't store your backup on an external USB drive (like me :D ).

Having said that, it is theoretically possible to create a BART PE USB flash disk as you mentioned. I tried and failed because of motherboard comaptibilities (even though I can boot the ATI rescue environment from a flash disk).

To be honest I think if you went out and bought a second disk (internal or external) this would be a sensible long term investment anyway, and I really wouldn't recommend storing primary copies of important information on optical media anyway.

I would be interested to hear how you get on.

F.

5. seekforever

seekforever Registered Member

I totally agree and if you really mean CDs instead of DVDs then even more so for storing a disk image these days.

6. DLS

DLS Registered Member

Well, my efforts have yet to pay dividends.

I built a BartPE disk and I get to the purple screen when booting from it, but can't get to TI from there.

I built the CD on my laptop for use on a desktop which I suspect may be part of the problem.

The plug-in section didn't go quite as the instructions read, but when BartPE was verifying, it showed that it was good.

Ideas, anyone?

Thanks in advance.

7. DLS

DLS Registered Member

Success!

I tried again to create the BartPE CD. I'm not sure how I did it, which makes me a little nervous, but it worked.

The difference appeared to be that after installing the plug-ins (this time I installed a combination of those from Mustang and those from the Acronis site), I ran the help file on the ATI plug-in and it didn't show additional files to be installed as it did on the first go-round.

I also created it this time from the desktop that required it, not my laptop that works fine on the standard ATI boot disk.

Now to make some images and, as I learned here over the past day or two, RESTORE them to ensure their integrity.

Thanks to all....

P.S. I also intend to store the images on a external disk, eliminating the need to create BartPE on a USB flash drive and providing more reliability than storing on optical media as helpfully suggested by my friends in this thread.

8. foghorne

If you make a copy of an image, make sure you verify it after it has copied. Alternatively download an MD5 utility and check that the hash of the source copy of your image and that of the 2nd copy match.

F.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.