RequestPolicy 1.0

Discussion in 'privacy technology' started by TomAZ, Aug 17, 2013.

1. ams963

ams963 Registered Member

Oh okay got it. Thank you.:)

2. MrBrian

MrBrian Registered Member

You're welcome :).

I recommend using Firefox's Network Monitor to test some websites with NoScript alone, RequestPolicy alone, and NoScript+RequestPolicy so that you can see the differences in network requests. You can click the "Domain" header to sort by that column.

3. MrBrian

Report card after two weeks of usage:

I have approximately 160 generic Block rules (i.e. Origin=(blank)), and approximately 15 specific Allow rules that override the generic Block rules.

Bugs personally encountered:
    1. Due to issue https://github.com/RequestPolicy/requestpolicy/issues/345, a few extra clicks are needed when using the webmail providers that I use (because I have generic block rules to those domains).
    2. A few times upon browser startup, there is no ruleset and everything is blocked. Solution: restart browser.
    3. I cannot see the comments at http://www.theatlantic.com/health/archive/2014/01/the-dark-side-of-emotional-intelligence/282720/ when using rules "Block from all domains to *.disqus.com" and "Allow from *.theatlantic.com to *.disqus.com". This seems to block traffic to domain disquscdn.com, which is necessary to view comments. This is for default-allow mode. I'm not sure if this bug is documented already. Workaround: get rid of these rules; Ghostery (which I also use) can block Disqus tracker and allows per-site tracker exceptions.

Mostly good so far :thumb:.

4. MrBrian

Report card after more than 2 months of usage (default-allow mode):

1. My biggest problem is that around 25%-40% of the time, when I start Firefox there is no ruleset. Solution: restart browser.
    2. I've seen another few instances of the same type of problem as point #3 from the last post.
    3. I still have the issue from point #1 in the last post, but it's merely a nuisance.

Recently there seldom is any domain that I want to block that isn't already blocked. I have approximately 215 generic Block rules (i.e. Origin=(blank)), and approximately 45 specific Allow rules that override the generic Block rules. RequestPolicy in default-allow mode is definitely usable, IMHO.

5. MrBrian

I've removed RequestPolicy mostly because I'm tired of "caring for and feeding" it. I've come to the conclusion that Ghostery at max. settings for the most part blocks as much as possible without breaking too much website functionality. I also use Adblock Plus and NoScript.

Last edited: May 18, 2014
  6. MrBrian

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.