Requesting advice regarding wireless router setup/security

Discussion in 'hardware' started by Carbonyl, Jan 9, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Carbonyl

Carbonyl Registered Member

Hi everyone.

Traditionally I've been highly distrustful of wireless routers. Not only have they had some historically weak and easily defeated security measures, but my home setup has never required wireless - Wired setup has been sufficient for me in all regards.

Recently, however, I've acquired a smartphone, and avoiding additional data charges has made me seriously consider adding a wireless router to my setup. Before I do so, though, I wanted to ask the experts here about what the best steps and best hardware would be to ensure a secure network.

Currently I have two computers and a number of gaming consoles plugged into a Linksys BEFSR41. I'd be using the wireless mostly for my phone, though a couple of hand-held consoles and a laptop may occasionally interact with it.

My questions are as follows:

1) What wireless router would be best for this setup? Security is a top concern, so I believe I'd want an option that has custom firmware available.

2) Would I need to chuck out my existing, wired router and plug my wired devices into the wireless router? Or would it be better to simply add the wireless router as a device ON the existing wired router? The wired router is working fantastically right now. Speeds and compatibility are right where I'd like them, and I fear messing with the situation. "If it ain't broke, don't fix it", after all.

3) What security measures are essential for setting up a wireless network? Please keep in mind that though I can navigate my way through most computer dealings, I'm essentially a know-nothing when it comes to issues of networking - and the specific security required for a wireless network is not an exception. Since I've avoided a wireless network for so long, I have no clue how to secure one appropriately.

Thanks in advance for any help or advice!

2. Raza0007

Raza0007 Registered Member

For your case I would recommend a wireless router and with a four port switch. Something like this Linksys E3200. Or a comparable router from Netgear. This will give you wireless functionality as well as the option to connect your wired devices to the router. You may choose a lower model depending on your budget and requirements.

For security you need to choose an encryption. WPA2 with AES is very secure and there is no known attack against it.

You will also need to change the default access password on the router from its factory default to a strong personal one.

Your wireless network should now be pretty secure.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.