Request : MVPS Hosts file dl and update

Discussion in 'SpywareBlaster & Other Forum' started by w33d3r, Apr 10, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. w33d3r

w33d3r Registered Member

2. siljaline

siljaline Registered Member

3. m00nbl00d

m00nbl00d Registered Member

As for the rest, you could use HostsMan to deal with the hosts file. -http://www.abellhadigital.com

4. w33d3r

w33d3r Registered Member

siljaline - I used the words "aswell as" to indicate I already have knowledge of that functionality, and that the request is in addition to that functionality.

moonblood - Hostsman is quite clearly linked on MVPS page I linked, as is HostsXpert

I have used both, I am very familiar with them, and they both have problems on my systems. Development of those utilities seems to be an occasional hobby.

Spywareblaster is consistently reliable on all my machines ( no matter what version of windows in use ). I have been using it for many years now.

My request is for Spywareblaster to incorporate the ability to download and install updated MVPS Hosts file, not to be redirected to other utilities.

Is there anyone here can evaluate the possibility and merits of implementing such a feature ?

I only request the feature because I feel Spywareblaster would be the ideal utility to also have this capability. Instead of having multiple different utilities which vary in their success on different operating system versions.

Last edited: Apr 12, 2013
  5. m00nbl00d

m00nbl00d Registered Member

I understand all that, but when one already has a few tools, including a PowerShell script, to work with the hosts file, I really believe it would be wasting time implementing that, not to mentioned that, most likely if many other SpywareBlaster users wanted that feature, they would like it to automatically update the hosts file, and I suspect this automatic update functionality would be a paid for feature, just like the current SpywareBlaster automatic update.

Not to mention, you want the MVPS hosts file, others may want different ones, as there are many sources. Then, some would want to check for local files instead of remote files, etc., etc. And, this is something HostsMan already allows.

This would mean wasting more time solving more bugs in SpywareBlaster functionality, and I believe it would be preferable for Brightfort to bring something innovative able to offer more reliable protection, rather than bringing some additional functionality that users can already use with other free and fully functioning applications/tools.

It's just my opinion, of course.

6. siljaline

siljaline Registered Member

The onus would be on the developer to incorporate the functionality into the software - he does accept private messages, so what flushes out of a feature request.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.