Request for Anti-keylogger Advice

Discussion in 'other anti-malware software' started by FrnHeight451, Sep 25, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. FrnHeight451

FrnHeight451 Registered Member

Need a really good one (do some business from home and that's one of the last pieces of the puzzle). I know Spyshelter comes well-recommended; also looking at GuardedID (not free but $30 for 2 computers, which I need) and seems to have a lot of really good reviews. Anyone have any experience with this or have any other solid suggestions? Thanks a lot!

EDIT: Okay upon further investigation looks like nonsense -- for IE only. I'd go with Zemana but am running Win 7 64x and it's not supported (sorry should have mentioned that). Any advice guys?

Last edited: Sep 25, 2010
  2. bellgamin

bellgamin Registered Member

For Win7-64 I recommend Spyshelter (SS).

By the way, SS includes a HIPS module called "System protection." If you already are running a HIPS, I suggest you disable the System Protection module of SS.

Another good choice would be Prevx SafeOnline -- it works fine with most major browsers.

3. moontan

moontan Registered Member

2 others which are really good IMO:

Zemana which is a paid product (edit: not 64 bits though)

Trusteer Rapport: a free product

4. NewtonsApple98

NewtonsApple98 Registered Member

Cool, thanks guys, appreciate your taking the time. I just looked at the latest testing by MRG and SpyShelter looks pretty disappointing, though Prevx AV at least looks like a real winner! I'm definitely in the market for a decent anti-logger myself -- but looking at these tests it seems like a lot of these programs catch these loggers no? For example Hitman Pro nails them all, whether keylogger, worm, etc. Am I off track here?

5. ExtremeGamerBR

ExtremeGamerBR Registered Member

I recommend the Prevx SafeOnline, is lightweight and provides good protection.

It's good because if your computer is infected by a virus your passwords are safe. Works fine with IE, FF, Chrome. :thumb:

6. guest

guest Guest

Yes but remember that Pevx SO only protects the browser, think if you want Anti-keylogger protection at any time, or only for the things that you do in the browser.

7. Kernelwars

Kernelwars Registered Member

Hi,
    I would suggest Keyscrambler.. why? what the keylogger can achieve from your system if everything is scrambled in a way its useless..:D :D

8. jmonge

jmonge Registered Member

all it is like scramble eggs;)

9. CloneRanger

CloneRanger Registered Member

Unfortunately, everything does NOT get scrambled with KS, only in web forms and logging in etc.

A KL can still steal anything you write in Docs etc, and in forums etc etc :eek:

10. aladdin

aladdin Registered Member

My first post and hopefully I am not being negative about SpyShelter. I recently purchased this product as the free version was not available for x64.

There are certain things which are not implemented in x64. I was wondering what does "Add *Restricted* windows caption prefix for restricted GUI app" meant in the SpyShelter's settings.

The above is not implemented in the x64 even though it is available in the settings. Someone on this site posted a picture of the x32, which showed an extra menu for it.

11. moontan

correct me if i'm wrong but i think Keyscrambler does not protect against screen logging.

what good is protection against keylogging if you have a screen logging virus?
    if you are worried about keylogging shouldn't you be worried about screen logging as well?

12. jmonge

jmonge Registered Member

what does a screenloggerdoeso_O just take a picture of your destop;) is that bad;) even if the virus take a pic it will take a picture of scramble eggs with fried beens:D

note:even if you zoom in the taken pic it does look to clear:)i have tested this before:)

13. moontan

if it takes a picture of your bank account user name it might be a problem.
    passwords are usually replaced by * so i guess that's not that bad maybeo_O

i've never tried keyscrambler but i'm gonna try it tonight.
    unfortunately, the free version does not work with Chrome but that's not a big deal.

14. moontan

there are softwares to fix that, like Photozoom Pro, Genuine Fractals and a few others.

15. jmonge

jmonge Registered Member

nice to know but still the most important thing here is protect the keyboard first then the rest;)

16. jmonge

jmonge Registered Member

by the way did any one tested keyscrambler pro with reAL malware?

17. Jav

Jav Guest

Sorry, if I am mistaken.

But, I think you are wrong.

ok, If you get free version.
    Everything inside the browser (supported browsers) is scrambled, isn't it?
    So it means your forums etc is scrambled aswell.

Now, If you get premium version, your Office Docs are scrambled aswell.
    So, premium version scrambles almost everything average user uses.
    Or am I reading something wrong here?
    http://www.qfxsoftware.com/ks-windows/which-keyscrambler.htm

18. Konata Izumi

Konata Izumi Registered Member

right.

19. CloneRanger

CloneRanger Registered Member

Hi folks,

Re - Keyscambler

I acknowledge the difference between the free version & premium version, and should have pointed it out. Sorry for the omission :(

Regards

20. jmonge

jmonge Registered Member

even the note pad is protected,messengers,spyke etc etc;)
    but is a malware terminate the keyscrambler service computer is no longer protected in the pro or premium version that it has a running service:)and it doesnt have termination protection,with free version is diferent cause it is a plug in so if malware terminate the plug in it has to terminate the browser and if malware terminate the browser nothing to steal as when open the browser again it will be protected:) so i prefer the plug in version(free)the pro version can be aesilly terminated,and there are some malware such the security tool that terminate and block any thing to work properly not to mention those nasty rootkits:)they take control of the system

Last edited: Sep 28, 2010
  21. FrnHeight451

FrnHeight451 Registered Member

Hey again guys -- I was just looking at all the MRG malware tests (one going on now) and in their archives. They have 3 or 4 test reports on banking trojans/keyloggers in general.

I was a little surprised that Spyshelter & Keyscrambler failed them miserably, while Prevx knocked them all out of the park. If Prevx is only browser based that's a problem -- I've never been able to find an answer as to whether a keylogger can steal your Windows Login during the screen dim process? If so, I can't find any antikeylogger that's active at point in the login process! Any ideas? Thanks again. PS The lates version of Neo's Safekeys is pretty cool -- it's an onscreen keyboard and you just hover on the letter/number/whatever to enter, no mouse clicks, though sometimes hard to work with if you cannot drag/drop or inject into the login field.

22. moontan

did you try the new Injection Mode?
    it supposed to work if the normal drag & drop fails.

23. jackmccoy

jackmccoy Registered Member

I recall a recent PCMag test of keylogging defenses. Prevx was (as I recall) one of the worst. Spy Sweeper caught almost everything while Norton, though pretty good, still missed a lot. Since I use Norton, that's when I started looking around for solutions. SpySweeper has a free 6 month trial but it slowed things down too much (with Norton, at least). KeyScrambler Premium was what I ended up with...works great

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.