Replacing NIS2006 with ???

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by Chamlin, Aug 9, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. aigle

aigle Registered Member

I will say that u can remove Spybot and adaware.
    With SuperAntispyware and Spysweeper, u don,t need them. However spyware blaster can still be useful and takes no resouces at all( except for a small disk space).

2. noway

noway Registered Member

I think of the saying "beware the man with one gun". When I used to go deer hunting, the hunters who got most of the deer were old-timers using a beaten up old 30-30 they had used for years, not the hunters that brought 3 or 4 rifles with them. Rather than loading up with a lot of extra stuff, an alternative would be to focus on what you have and spend the time becoming an expert at it...then expanding only if there is a need. You could start by reading up on securing the browser and e-mail programs. You could read about this stuff for days and it's free. Focus on what YOU need to stop doing/allowing that is letting this stuff in, not what software you need to get rid of it. Improve your housekeeping such as putting shorcuts to temp folders on your desktop and emptying them regularly. Why give your antivirus extra work to do?

NOD32 is a good antivirus but the problems you have experienced weren't from OWNING a bad antivirus. Millions use Norton and don't get viruses. Zonealarm might be suitable for your firewall...it is simple, free and has a large number of users who can help if you have a problem.

If you have had virus and computer housekeeping issues and have installed a lot of potentially conflicting software I would format the drive and start again (while disconnected from the internet), installing a proper disk imaging program first and using it before and during the fresh program installations. If something goes wrong, you need a way to fix it yourself and many of these imaging programs can fix any software crisis you might have in a minute or two.

3. furballi

furballi Registered Member

The problem is that people want INSTANT solution. They believe that loading up a PC with a bunch of anti-this n that is going to save the day. I suppose learning something new requires a few calories and cerebral activity.

4. dja2k

dja2k Registered Member

It doesn't seem like there is a good anti-trojan defense there. Since most of the nod32 users use boclean or ewido, an anti-trojan could be used. Don't know exactly how good spysweeper or superantispyware are these days, but I think that if you have Nod32, Ewido, and keeping Spysweeper (if it doesn't conflict with ewido) would be enough. A plus is to always keep spyware blaster since it doesn't use any resources. Adaware and Spybot can be left for on demand scanning. Actually so can superantispyware. Those are up to you, but don't run that many programs that do the same thing, I.E. Spysweeper and Superantispy.

Basic rule is: 1 antivirus, 1 firewall, 1 anti-spyware, and 1 anti-trojan. These days, having those four plus a non-conflicting HIPS program would be enough. Some people go pretty far to keep their system clean by using only free products. Prevx1r (type HIPS) is one of those great free products. Spyware Terminator (anti-spyware) is another good free product. If you don't want to pay for Ewido 4.0 (anti-spyware and anti-malware), at least use it free for on-demand. A-Squared 2 free (anti-malware) is another good product.

dja2k

Last edited: Aug 14, 2006
  5. Chamlin

Chamlin Registered Member

What are the best options for anti-trojan to go along with this group?

Using:
    NOD32 (trial, will buy)
    Comodo Firewall (free)
    SpySweeper (paid)
    SpywareBlaster (free)
    SuperAntiSpyware (free) for scans on demand

6. aigle

aigle Registered Member

If u surf safely and wisely I think I personally will prefer on-demand Ewido but I have no idea how good is its detection of Trojans( there are no tests with current version).

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.