Replacement for Opera 12x

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by djg05, Sep 27, 2014.

1. Rasheed187

Rasheed187 Registered Member

Which extension was this? I've checked out HTTP Switchboard on Firefox and I didn't like it, a bit too complex. I prefer simpler solutions like ScriptKeeper. BTW, there are also 2 other great script blockers for Opera Presto, but on my system they sometimes loose configuration settings. I hope stuff like this will make it into Opera Blink.

https://addons.opera.com/nl/extensions/details/scriptkeeper/?display=en
    https://addons.opera.com/nl/extensions/details/scriptweeder/?display=en
    https://addons.opera.com/nl/extensions/details/notscripts/?display=en

Last edited: Oct 15, 2014
  2. MisterB

MisterB Registered Member

It is called simply Script Blocker. It just disappeared one day from the Opera add-ons page and I haven't found it anywhere else. Not being able to find it led me to check out the structure of the Opera blink installation and clone it with all my extensions.

3. Rasheed187

If I understood correctly, you're still using it. Can you post some screen-shots?

4. MisterB

Here. This is very weird, I can't google any references to this extension at all. It is not available anywhere. A few months ago it was the first extension on the list from a search for script blockers in the Opera add-ons site.

SB4.JPG SB3.JPG

5. Pliskin

Pliskin Registered Member

6. Rasheed187

Yes I remember it, I think I also used this extension when I tested Opera Blink months ago, it's indeed a cool script-blocker. :)

Weird, so they removed it from the Opera extensions page, but it's still available for Chrome? I wonder if Opera perhaps found some security issue.

7. MisterB

Very weird because I did search Chrome app store for it and got another script blocker but not this one. I didn't search for it with Chrome so that might have been why it didn't show up.

8. Pharao

Pharao Registered Member

@FreddyFreeloader

There is no ideal replacement for Opera (Presto).

The new Chrome fork called Opera is aimed for users who only need a very basic content reader for the web.
    It took Opera ASA more than one year of hard work to add bookmarks to this Chrome fork. No wonder since many developers have left the company and those few still working on this fork have a hard time to keep up with Google's security fixes.

The only browser that comes somehow close to Opera (Presto) is Firefox + extensions. You have the choice between Firefox or one of its forks.

9. Rasheed187

I did a bit of research, and it's indeed weird, because I found another one called "Script Defender", and it was also removed from the Opera site. The good news is that there are quite a lot of script-blockers for Chrome (which uses the same Blink engine as Opera does) so it must be simple to convert these extensions I assume.

https://addons.opera.com/nl/extensions/details/script-defender/?display=en

http://www.ghacks.net/2013/11/02/script-defender-script-blocking-extension-google-chrome/
    http://www.ghacks.net/2013/10/04/scriptblock-chrome-blocks-scripts-running-automatically-websites/

10. Pliskin

11. Rasheed187

@ Pliskin

Perhaps you can contact the developer to see what's going on? Why would he remove his extensions from the Opera site? BTW, I'm asking because the Google extension site is way too heavy for my machine, Google should hire some new SKILLED web developers. :thumbd:

12. FreddyFreeloader

FreddyFreeloader Registered Member

Maxthon is very close, but - few extensions and zero phishing/url protection. I can never get Firefox to keep the zoom and font size where I want them.

13. Daveski17

Daveski17 Registered Member

Extensions are few and far between and often not developed or maintained particularly, but I'm pretty sure Mx has some inbuilt phishing/url protection at least.

14. FreddyFreeloader

I think MX has phishing protection in it's Linux browser, just not it's Windows version. I've ran hundreds of valid phish samples from Phishtank.com, and it didn't catch anything. Tried those same samples with IE, Chrome, Opera, lots of detections. Might be a problem for Internet novices, download fanatics, idiots.

15. Daveski17

OK thanks for the head's up on that.

16. FreddyFreeloader

That's my only concern with MX, it's a great browser in everything else it does.

17. Daveski17

Well, it's a valid concern. It's my favourite Windows browser, ironically I prefer Firefox on Linux.

18. Rasheed187

19. oneeyed25

oneeyed25 Registered Member

No idea about GIFV but since Opera 12 already supports SPDY you won't miss much even if HTTP/2 support isn't implemented.

20. Pliskin

GIFV works in v12 although you need to click on it. Also you need javascript enabled for GIFV to work.

21. Rasheed187

Cool, didn't know about this. :)

Yes my bad, there must be some other reason why it could not be displayed. GIFV really sounds cool, if there's something I hate, it's huge animated GIFs.

22. Daveski17

23. pjoter

pjoter Registered Member

>Replacement for Opera 12x

I went with http://www.palemoon.org/
    it's sort of a classic variation of Firefox.

"Pale Moon is an Open Source, Firefox-based web browser available for Microsoft Window focusing on efficiency and ease of use."

24. FreddyFreeloader

25. Daveski17

Yeah, that's how I got it lol. Maxthon does have the Flager extension though, which is a bit like Flagfox. It can show WOT and other results, which is something I suppose.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.