Replacement for Opera 12x

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by djg05, Sep 27, 2014.

1. FreddyFreeloader

FreddyFreeloader Registered Member

Some AVs do that, just never saw a browser do that.

2. Daveski17

Daveski17 Registered Member

It's probably related to its cloud functionality.

3. FreddyFreeloader

FreddyFreeloader Registered Member

OK, thanks Dave.
    To the OP - there is a couple of extensions for the Blink Opera that make it seem more like the Presto Opera - a password manager that has the old key icon, and a smooth scroll to make it like Opera 12.

4. Rasheed187

Rasheed187 Registered Member

I don't think so, they are not crazy. They probably make the most money from the IPTV (and mobile) business, and to cut costs they got rid of employees who where developing the Presto engine. The one thing that frustrates me is that they haven't made the Presto engine open source.

5. Daveski17

Yes, that is a disappointment, I wonder why that is?

6. Daveski17

7. Rasheed187

Now that I think of it, they are probably scared that someone would develop it into a superior browser. On the other hand, if I'm correct, any developer can use browser engines like Trident, Gecko and Webkit, so I still don't get it.

Last edited: Oct 8, 2014
  8. Daveski17

I don't get it either. It would make a brilliant open source project. I can only surmise that there are legal problems.

9. chrome_sturmen

chrome_sturmen Registered Member

I remember reading back in '11 when Opera founder Jon S. von Tetzchner (co-founder Geir Ivarsøy) resigned from the company over differences with boardmembers

“It has become clear that The Board, Management and I do not share the same values and we do not have the same opinions on how to keep evolving Opera. As a result I have come to an agreement with the Board to end my time at Opera. I feel the Board and Management is more quarterly focused than me.”

http://techcrunch.com/2011/06/24/op...etzchner-resigns-over-differences-with-board/

Here's a link from a bit back in the day (last updated 2005 but builds upon info from the earlier 2000's) on the old searchlores.org site (now mirrored), lauding Opera's functionalities ;\
    http://crazyboy.com/fravia/searchlores.org/tuttiope.htm

Last edited: Oct 9, 2014
  10. stapp

stapp Global Moderator

11. Daveski17

12. Rasheed187

To be honest, I do not think those are good enough reasons for Opera to let Presto die. If they really wanted to they could make it open source, but they just don't care. I'm going off topic now, but like 10 years ago they stopped making my favorite chicken pizza, I mailed them to put it back on the market, but they said it did not sell enough. So I asked them for the recipe, but they refused to give it. If you're not going to make any money from it, why not give up the recipe? :gack:

13. Hadron

Hadron Registered Member

If only Maxthon had Pin Tab functionality and didn't open a new tab when I click on the Home button, then maybe I could get to like it.

14. Daveski17

It's a bit like Sleipnir in that respect I believe. You get used to it after a while. Just double clicking at the top of the tab should take you back to your home page.

15. Hadron

Hadron Registered Member

Double clicking at the top of the tab closes the tab by default.
    If I de-select that option in the settings, double clicking the top of the tab does nothing.
    And I can't live without Pin Tab.

But it was nice to have a look at it.

16. Daveski17

Sorry, I was thinking about just one tab being open. You'd think with all the stuff on Mx they'd have included a pin tab lol.

17. Hadron

Hadron Registered Member

What is MX?

18. Hadron

Hadron Registered Member

By the way, guys.
    I have also been experimenting with Opera Beta v25.0.1614.35.
    I am really starting to like it. Bookmarks and Bookmarks Manager are back. I couldn't find Bookmarks in Opera v24.0.1558.64, lol.

Last edited: Oct 13, 2014
  19. Daveski17

It's short for Maxthon, a bit like Fx is an abbreviation of Firefox. :)

20. Pharao

Pharao Registered Member

These are great news!
    Considering the time they needed to add bookmarks, it looks like Chropera has the potential to become in 10 years a decent browser, like Opera was once.

21. Hadron

Hadron Registered Member

TabHamster is a great, great session manager for Opera (and Chrome).
    I've been putting up with crappy Session Buddy for years in Chrome. I never liked it.

I finally discovered TabHamster for both browsers.

Last edited: Oct 13, 2014
  22. Rasheed187

This is something that I'm missing in Opera Presto. Extensions for Opera Blink are a bit more advanced.

23. MisterB

MisterB Registered Member

One essential plugin that is currently unavailable for Opera Blink is a script blocker. I have one called "Script Blocker" but since a month or so, it has been unavailable in the Opera add-ons. I've figured out how to clone an Opera Blink installation and put put the new Opera onto another computer without reinstalling it so I can transfer it and all my extensions without having to reinstall them. It is simple: Copy the Opera folder in the C: drive program files folder to a thumb drive. In the Users folder under the currently logged on user, there is a hidden folder called "App Data" inside the "Roaming Folder" there is a folder called "Opera Software" with a subfolder called "Opera Stable" Copy the "Opera Software" folder to the thumb drive. That is the whole installation. All the user settings and extensions are in the "Opera Stable" folder. If you copy these folders to another computer in the same locations, you have your customize Opera installation cloned and it will work without using the Opera installer. This is for Windows Vista and 7. In Xp, the "Opera Software" is in a a hidden folder called "Application Data" in the "Documents and Settings" folder under the folder for the logged on user.

24. Remouald

Remouald Registered Member

The extension HTTP Switchboard can do that.
    https://addons.opera.com/en/extensions/details/http-switchboard/

25. MisterB

MisterB Registered Member

Interesting but not quite the same as the "Script Blocker" extension that was available for Opera Blink which is very similar to the "Script Keeper" extension I'm using now with Opera Presto. This is a much more comprehensive and complicated extension that can block a lot more than just javascript. It actually implements some of the functions of Opera Presto that we are fond of so thanks for pointing it out. I will test it some in my Opera Blink installation.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.