Replaced harddrive & restored image....

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by Bugeyed, Aug 3, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bugeyed

Bugeyed Registered Member

I created an image of my system drive & replaced the drive with a new one. When I went to restore from a USB drive the files in Acronis backup folder were "file name" & 1 thru 9.tib. 1 thru 8 were 3.99 GB & the 9th file was 583 MB. I selected "file name" 1.tib to restore & it seemed to work OK. I am operating from the new drive now. Why was the drive image broken into 9 files & how can I be sure that all the info was restored? Also, I booted with the Acronis disc & when I went to the step to choose the archive file to restore the filed were listed in an odd order:
    Toshiba 60GB Image 8_3_085.tib
    Toshiba 60GB Image 8_3_086.tib
    Toshiba 60GB Image 8_3_089.tib
    Toshiba 60GB Image 8_3_087.tib
    Toshiba 60GB Image 8_3_088.tib
    Toshiba 60GB Image 8_3_081.tib
    Toshiba 60GB Image 8_3_082.tib
    Toshiba 60GB Image 8_3_083.tib
    Toshiba 60GB Image 8_3_084.tib
    Do I need to start over & do something differently?
    Thanks
    kev

2. DwnNdrty

DwnNdrty Registered Member

No, you did nothing wrong .... the usb drive is formatted as Fat 32. If it were formatted as NTFS, you would get one Image file.

3. Bugeyed

OK, thanks. Which file do I select as the archived image? I chose 1 'cause it seemed logical.
    I have another problem now though. After that restore & everything seemed to work OK, I read that cloning the drive is an easier way to get a new larger harddrive up & running with the proper drive size (120 vs 60GB). I have an external USB drive case so I went back to the original drive & plugged in the USB new drive candidate. I could not see the drive in My Computer. Device manager sees it & correctly id's it as to brand & size. I suspect that it is because the drive is also set to drive 0. I did a format on it using TI, but it still doesn't show up so that I can use it to clone my system drive. Is there an easy way to change the drive location? Sorry for my ignorance, but this is not my area of expertise.
    Thanks

4. Xpilot

Xpilot Registered Member

It is in fact easier, possibly faster and certainly safer to use the restore image method to upgrade a hard drive.

Resizing can be done as part of the restore process by selecting each box in turn rather than the whole disk option. Just follow the wizard till the whole disk, including the MBR, is covered.

The additional safety is because the original drive is safely out of they way and there is no risk of having two C drives connected at the same time.

Xpilot

5. Bugeyed

This issue is certainly controversial as some here recommend the cloning method. I understand your argument & agree that restoring from an Image is safer. I will try that since I can't access the new drive when running off the current drive because of the logical location conflict.
    Thanks

6. GroverH

GroverH Registered Member

Perhaps some of this can help. It's from another posting but it may be relevant.

First, let's start with terminology. From Acronis's standpoint, cloning means you will end up with two identical disks (size may vary). Whereas imaging means you will end up with a one (or multiple) backup file which will be about 30-35% smaller in size than your used space. This backup file (image archive) can be stored on another internal or external drive in a normal folder as a normal file.

Cloning puts your original hard drive at risk of either a user error or a program or hardware malfunction. There continues to be postings by users who have wiped their original without a satisfactory clone. To overcome this risk,the user should take the time to perform a full disk image predautionary backup prior to any cloning operation.

If you have then spent whatever time is necessary to perform a safety backup, then why take the risk of cloning when a "Partition Restore with Resize" will produce the same result but with a safer atmosphere. Yes, cloning is quicker but is the risk work taking. It's a decision you must make based on your personal situation.

Whether cloning or performing a "Partition Restore with Resize", your best chances of success will be if you
    1. Perform the operation after having booted from the Acronis TrueImage Rescue CD.
    2. Prior to the procedure, placed the orignal drive in another location such as another internal or external location.
    3. Install the intended clone in the same position as the original drive.
    4. Perform the operation.
    5. Remove any duplicate source drives before first bootup so Windows does not see two identical drives.
    6. Yes, there are other methods but these steps seem to have a better chance of success with many hardware combinations.
    These are the steps I practice. The only time I clone is for testing purposes for my guides.

A help guide for restoring a backup image to a larger drive is listed in line 3 of my signature below.

A (work in progress) help guide on cloning can be found at this link:
    http://grover.tabinc.com/gh-temp/gh_acronis_manual_cloning.pdf

7. Bugeyed

Thanks GroverH. I am in the process of restoring from an image. I am pretty sure that I followed your instructions: Select NTFS c: first, not Disk 1, then responded yes to restoring another partition or HD then selected the full size of the drive 111.8 GB, then the MBR track 0. It seemed to start OK, but slowly & then when it did finally show progress it said 10 hours remaining! I am moving from a 60 GB to a 120 GB drive & I think the image file was 32 MB. The tib file is on a USB drive & the FDD is in a Toshiba laptop. What do you think I have done wrong?

8. GroverH

GroverH Registered Member

How many partitions on your original drive--that is was there any recovery or diagnostic partitions, etc.

Was the backup that you are using a disk backup which includes all partitons; or was it a partitition backup and only the C drive was includled?

Review the guides again or even simulate the restore again as a test only run through. It's hard for me to visualize what might have gone wrong.

Certainly the 10 hrs is a problem is not the usual time. Perhaps your usb connection is not a 2.0 version.

9. MrMorse

MrMorse Registered Member

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.