replace one HD, best way?

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by wreckwriter, Oct 19, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. wreckwriter

wreckwriter Registered Member

Hi guys,

I'm a new user, having found TI after DriveImage 7 stopped working (after first having a week long nightmare trying to fix it or install Norton Ghost which won't work either). I have a couple newbie questions if someone has a few minutes...

I currently have 2 hard drives, a 30 GB which is my OS (XP Pro SP2) and a 12 GB which I use for my backups. I want to get a larger drive for the OS and use the 30 GB for backups. I'm thinking to do it like this:

1- Remove the 12 and install the new one in its place
    2- Use TI to clone the data from the 30 to the new
    3- Swap the 2 drives and use the new as boot

Will this work out right? At what point do I have to change the master/slave jumpers? I know I have to do it at some point as the 30 is currently master. Can I just set it to slave and set the new to master right at the beginning of the whole process? Do I need to fdisk the new drive first?

The other thing is that when I first installed TI I made a backup with no problem but 2 days later I tried to make a new one (replacing the original) and it hung at the point where the 2 status bars show up first. It just sat there with 2 blank status bars. I shut TI (it let me so wasn't totally hung), and rebooted. That didn't fix it so I reran the installer to "repair" it. That worked. Is this likely to be a common occurence? Is it likely caused by something else running in the background?

Thanks for any help!

WW

2. wreckwriter

Well, the cloning went flawlessly. Got some issues running TI within Windows though. Will post in another thread.

3. wreckwriter

A further note on cloning, in case anyone is wondering, my products from Macromedia and Symantec demanded to be "reactived", Windows itself did not. I guess Microsoft's algorythm to determine the machine is based on multiple hardware devices but the others are based on HD only.

4. kbfresh

kbfresh Guest

What kind of preperation did you have to do to the new hard drive before cloning? I restored my hard drive image to a new drive the other day but when I installed the new drive and reboot, I get a message saying that it is not a system disk. If I hit enter after seeing this message my computer goes into windows xp.

5. wreckwriter

I did nothing but set it to auto in the bios, and boot from the TI CD. No fdisk, no format, etc. TI did all that for me quick and easy and even set it bootable. I put it in as primary master and put the other HD as secondary master.

I didn't use an image, I did a straight clone from my old drive.

6. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello kbfresh,

Please to do the following:

Windows 95/98/ME – boot from Startup Disk and run "fdisk /mbr" command;
    Windows 2000/XP – boot from Installation Disc into Recovery Console and run "fixmbr" command.

Thank you.

--
    Best regards,
    Andrew Berezovsky

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.