Removing sysprep

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by Phil66, May 2, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Phil66

Phil66 Registered Member

Compaq Celeron
    Windows XP SP1 home edition

We have this older Compaq computer that when it starts up the sysprep tools popup appears.

We can remove it from the screen by clicking the x in the upper right hand corner.

We have searched msconfig,startup,and start menu for a way to disable startup.
    None of the program have sysprep in them.

When searching the files and folders there is one entry in c:\ which is a folder containing four files. The other file found is in the prefetch program.

None of these items have start or configuration file.

We would like to stop it from popping up at boot or completely remove it from the computer in the proper way so as not to harm Windows XP

Thanks for the help
    Ray

2. Phil66

Phil66 Registered Member

Bump to top

3. zapjb

zapjb Registered Member

4. Phil66

Phil66 Registered Member

Thanks for the reply

Found MS article and tried it early in this never ending battle.

Lots of articles on how to run but very few on how to stop start up or completely delete program.

Most feedback on this program tell you to ignore it.

Looks like another MS Red herring.

5. GlobalForce

GlobalForce Regular Poster

So Ray,

Is this one of those old work puter's you can't afford to experiment with? If sysprep's sp1's the same version as 2 (I'd have to extract a copy from disk to know for certain) I can say with reasonable certainty it depend's on setupcl.exe to run. You should have a copy of deploy.chm somewhere onboard which outline's several command switches that may remove your sysprep popup. Like you, I've found there isn't much, or at least any clear-cut understanding of what people do with sysprep after multi-machine deployment. Answering the first question will give me a better idea beyond what you've already stated.

Edit: In the event there's no deploy.chm I've attached a more thorough explanation of those cmdline option's.
    Download, then change the extension over to .html after confirming it's md5.

t_sysprep_options_deploy[1].txt - 0402435CA58D88BA5BA8D70544E501BC

As a slight afterthought .... could you locate, then note the properties "target" of sysprep.

Also while your at it if you could supply the content's of your sysprep.inf file, and the location of one winbom.ini (bill of material's file). Getting a handle on where to turn probably wouldn't be as difficult if I had a similar install. FYI, more on winbom below.

http://www.microsoft.com/technet/prodtechnol/winxppro/deploy/factorymode.mspx

Steve

Attached Files:

Last edited: May 5, 2007
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.