Remove old avast before install 5.0?

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by Page42, Jan 31, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Page42

Page42 Registered Member

I thought I'd create a separate thread just about removal of old avast and installation of the new version. Or no removal?

I'm ready soon to install v5.0. Currently running avast!4.8.
    Some people install 5.0 without removing 4.8.
    Others say to always uninstall when going from one version number to the next (like 4 to 5).
    But I checked the avast! 5.0 FAQ and it states...

Q: Is it required to uninstall avast! 4.x before installing avast! 5.0?
    A: Yes, but there isn't necessary any user interaction to uninstall avast! 4.x, because installer of avast! 5.0 is able to detect previous instance of avast! 4.x and uninstall it automatically.

I like that! It looks like 5.0 uninstalls 4.8 automatically.

Any users go that route, and let the avast! 5.0 installer remove the old version?

I'm tempted to do it that way.

For those who have uninstalled 4.8 and used the removal tool... did you first use Add/Remove Programs, and then run the removal tool to get remnants? Or did you just skip the Add/Remove and go straight for the removal tool?

2. wideglide36

wideglide36 Registered Member

Here's what I did.

I installed Avast 5 over the existing 4.8 and ran into all sorts of problems.

I read on the Avast forum that you probably should uninstall 4.8 before installing 5. Even though it's not supposed to be required, it's still a good idea.

I then used Revo uninstaller to remove Avast 4.8, which I had gone back to after my original problems with 5.

I then used the Avast removal tool in safe mode and rebooted.

I rebooted a second time, and as of now , everything seems to be working fine.

One other thing I did. I shut down Prevx and stopped it's service from running automatically. I had read on the Avast forum that some of these types of programs were causing issues.

Just my experience..........................

3. Brambb

Brambb Registered Member

I upgraded from 4.8 to 5.x and ended up with a BSOD during next login. Installer did uninstall 5.x as far as I could see but ended up with a BSOD anyway, was still able to uninstall it under safe mode.

So my advice is to uninstall 4.8 manually.

4. vlk

vlk AV Expert

This was most likely related to an issue in avast build 5.0.377 than to the actual fact that you upgraded from v4.8.

The latest version (5.0.396) is much more stable, and fixed the majority of issues of the original build 5.0.377.

Thanks
    Vlk

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.