Remoting a PC question!

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by ratchet, May 19, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ratchet

ratchet Registered Member

Mostly just to prove that I could do it, I would boot my XP desktop in PA from afar, that being children's homes in Boston and part of NY. I would then remote them with TeamViewer or Spashtop (on a tablet). I kind of lost interest in it though because I had trouble booting the W7 machine I built , although I can schedule boots with my motherboard. Anyway, through all of this I've had a static IP. Never paid or requested it, just the way my provider handled things I guess. However, now I've noticed it's dynamic so with any of the remote software I wouldn't be able to remote should the IP change correct?

2. HAN

HAN Registered Member

If the remote PC's client app is always running and waiting for a connection, the IP address is NOT how it's connected. It's connected via the remote desktop software's server in the cloud.

For example, my desktop at work is always on and in a "waiting to be connected" state. When I need to connect, I simply log in via the software and I'm in. In fact, I do not know what my external or internal IP addresses are.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.