Remoting a PC question!

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by ratchet, May 19, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ratchet

ratchet Registered Member

Mostly just to prove that I could do it, I would boot my XP desktop in PA from afar, that being children's homes in Boston and part of NY. I would then remote them with TeamViewer or Spashtop (on a tablet). I kind of lost interest in it though because I had trouble booting the W7 machine I built , although I can schedule boots with my motherboard. Anyway, through all of this I've had a static IP. Never paid or requested it, just the way my provider handled things I guess. However, now I've noticed it's dynamic so with any of the remote software I wouldn't be able to remote should the IP change correct?

2. HAN

HAN Registered Member

If the remote PC's client app is always running and waiting for a connection, the IP address is NOT how it's connected. It's connected via the remote desktop software's server in the cloud.

For example, my desktop at work is always on and in a "waiting to be connected" state. When I need to connect, I simply log in via the software and I'm in. In fact, I do not know what my external or internal IP addresses are.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.