remote desktop connection

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by helen321, Nov 27, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. helen321

helen321 Guest

hello :) . ive started a thread here , and am hoping to setup a *remote desktop cannection* with iceni, so if we get any replies tonight, he can follow the advice given to him.

when you first click on it- All Programs>Communications>Remote Desktop Connection, it says -computer, with a space to write in the computer you want to connect to, i think. then underneath it says connect.

do i put in iceni's IP address in the the box? then press connect, and that's it?

also, if we do it, if either of us has malware, could we infect each other?

thanks, iceni and helen :)

2. HandsOff

HandsOff Registered Member

I've often wondered how dangerous it is to use that feature. Not knowing better, were I you, I would disable the service when you are done.

-HandsOff

3. iceni60

iceni60 ( ^o^)

im not sure, but i thought that the main reason for remote desktop connection was to let tech support help out people with problems, including malware. so, they may have programmed it so malware couldnt be passed between computers o_O . then again maybe you just rely on residents o_O

my computer has such little RAM that i disable everything i can :D . theres also afew more things that can be disabled since the release of SP2. off-hand i cant remember them; but, i have disabled, i think its called, security center.

thanks HandsOff :) :cool:

4. mccarob

mccarob Registered Member

Remote desktop is pretty easy to use, and very handy. I use it at times when I'm away from the office and need at my calander, or files on my desktop at work.

Your correct, where it says "Computer:", you would key in the IP address. Or if you have a DYN DNS you can simply type in that address in. Click okay, then it will try to make the connect with that computer. As long as all the services for the Remote Desktop connection is on, you will get a new screen. Depeneding on how they have their system set up, you may have to log into their machine. Also, they will want to create an second account just for you. If I remember right, if they only have 1 account on the machine, it will also log them out at the physical location.

Good Luck

5. iceni60

iceni60 ( ^o^)

thanks, mccarob :) . but, what about if the other computer has malware?

6. mccarob

mccarob Registered Member

I used to work at BVU, and we used Remote Desktop sometimes to treat issues. Some of these included spyware. Your machine will not get infected (that I know of) from the other one. You will be able to install and run ad-aware/any other spyware clear untility on their PC as long as they give you the rights to do it. I have acctually taken control of another persons machine across campus and treat their spyware issues.

Good Luck

7. rerun2

rerun2 Registered Member

Just to add to what mccarob said...

If you have a static IP
    and
    If you do not live together
    and
    If you are each behind a router

Try setting up a VPN between both your networks. And then when you connect via remote dekstop you can just use your internal IP addresses to connect. This method will allow both sides to still interact behind their routers and the connection will be encrypted via the router's VPN.

If you are not using WinXP you can download Remote Desktop here
    http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/downloads/tools/rdclientdl.mspx

8. iceni60

iceni60 ( ^o^)

OK, thanks for the help, mccarob and rerun2 :cool:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.