Remote Desktop Connection questions...

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by Send_Derek, Apr 17, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Send_Derek

Send_Derek Registered Member

I'm a little new to this, so be nice. I have a few friends that I have been helping with their troubled computers. Well, I'm leaving soon and they want to be able to let me log on into and work on their computer while I'm a state away by taking control of their computer remotely.

My question is, how?

I briefly looked over the remote desktop connection that's build into windows XP, but I thought I read that it was only from a XP Pro computer that you can use it to log into a XP home (Not XP home to XP home).

Is there another program that I might be able to use to do this? Maybe one that's easy to use?

2. meneer

meneer Registered Member

Free and Easy: tightvnc
    It's lacking encryption, so it's not to be used in professional environments over the internet (the password is sent encrypted).
    Nice part: it's available on windows, linux and java.

Alternative (also vnc based) tridiavnc, it seems to offer encryption, but I have no experience with it (edit: pro offers encryption, regular version no longer supported, Realvnc could be a better bet, the personal version offering encryption, the free one is without)

Radmin is a commercial tool, as is Symantec pcanywhere.
    You could think about using Back Orifice, but most antivirus scanners think it is malware. I don't know if it offers encryption, but it's free and dangerous and opens cd trays

(errr sorry, this last bit of advise is not meant to be taken very seriously ;))

Last edited: Apr 18, 2005
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.