Remote administrator question

Discussion in 'Other ESET Home Products' started by ipnotech, Jun 26, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ipnotech

ipnotech Registered Member

Hi

I have just joined and therefore am a newbie.

I am an IT person and have installed other products in the past such as Sophos and Symantec Endpoint Protection corporate products.

Finally I come across Eset Smart Security for Small Business and I have to do an install for this client.

I read through the quick remote administrator docs and it seems simple enough but I am slightly confused about something.

OK I have installed ERAS and ERAC on the Windows 2003 SBS server , setup the mirror server and noticed there is a default policy that I can modify to suit. It is called server policy but it is going to be used for the workstations.

I would like to setup a policy for workstations, 1 for servers and one for roaming computers. I can only create these away from the default policy.

How can I create these policies under the default policy without them overlapping themselves because one is for servers and I would like to PUSH install the Anitivirus onto the server and the smartsecurity (the one with firewall) onto the workstations.

Also I would like to open up a couple of ports for the pcs for remote control such as port 3389 (RDP) and 5900 (VNC). How do I do this?

The other thing that confuses me is packages. Why do I have to configure packages with the editor. I thought that the policies were taking care of that in the first place.

What is the main difference between configuring policies with the editor and the packages later?

What is the advantage? Or the logic behind it?

Thanks and regards

Ipnotech

Last edited: Jun 27, 2010
  2. Brambb

Brambb Registered Member

Sure you can create two individual policies, one for workstations and one for servers. The easiest way to do this is to add all your workstations to a group and make a policy rule to only apply the 'workstation' policy to the 'workstation' group.

I only use the default policy for basic settings which I also include in my install packages.

This can be done with the configuration editor. This KB article should give you a idea how to do this. You can then attach that configuration to either your package or policy. (or push out the configuration individually)

Packages are used to push installations to clients. It is very important to attach a basic configuration file with the package that at least include to following:

- Remote administration (So the clients actually report back to ERA and are able to pick up the policy)
    - Update Module (So clients will update on the internal mirror and not try to connect to the ESET servers without a un/pw)

Also I recommend to add a unlock password so users cant change settings.

Packages are only used to push out a installation or upgrade package to workstations. Policies are meant to keep the configuration the same on all workstations.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.