Remanufactured Ink Cartridges

Discussion in 'hardware' started by JerryM, May 18, 2020.

1. JerryM

JerryM Registered Member

Any Experience with remanufactured ink cartridges? Ink is so expensive.
    Thanks, Jerry

2. zapjb

zapjb Registered Member

Yes. Some Good some Bad.

3. JerryM

JerryM Registered Member

Hi Zapjb. Any brands you have tried?
    Regards, Jerry

4. zapjb

zapjb Registered Member

I can't remember. I bought mostly off of eBay where the vendor is more important that the generic ink. Not all printers can use aftermarket ink. Research your model 1st.

5. Surt

Surt Registered Member

Trying to keep it simple...

One kind of printer is where the one or more print heads are fixed to the carriage and the one or more cartridges serve to resupply the inks.

Another is where the one or more cartridges each have both the print heads and the inks.

Inferior ink in the former could impair or damage the fixed print head(s), requiring tedious cleaning cycles at the least, a new print head(s) at the worst. In an expense strategy, the printer's value itself is a factor.

In the latter, the cartridge is just that. Swap it out. Eventually you'll find out who makes a better re-manufactured product. The advantage is you can really cheap out to begin with.

Dye ink is prone to drying out in the tank and/or head. Pigment ink adds a third fail point, clogging.

Always check out the seller's return/refund/replacement and liability policies.

Last edited: May 19, 2020
  6. zapjb

zapjb Registered Member

Well said.

7. Bill_Bright

Bill_Bright Registered Member

I know that many users have had no problems using 3rd party ink, but I also know that many users (including me) have seen printing problems go away after replacing 3rd party cartridges with genuine ones.

The problem with 3rd party ink is a total lack of consistency. Ink is actually some pretty high-tech stuff. And HP, Epson, Brother and the others make their inks using specific and patented formulas with very tight controls for consistency batch after batch.

The 3rd party makers have to reverse engineer and make their own formulas (without violating any patents). That is an expensive process, especially considering how many different printer makers and printers (and all-in-ones) there are out there. So all the different 3rd party ink makers have their own formulas. This means if you buy your ink from Office Depot this time, Sam's next, BestBuy after that, you likely will be using different formulas each time. And who knows how their suppliers maintain consistency of those formulas batch after batch?

I bought my HP 7525 a few years ago from Sam's and bought some Sam's 3rd party ink for it. It worked great for about a year then the printouts started looking lousy with streaks, off colors, and other issues. Cleaning and aligning the heads didn't help. I switched out the ink to genuine HP and all my problems went away. Yes, genuine ink is more expensive, but having to throw out the cheaper 3rd party ink cartridges that were nearly full was no bargain.

FTR, HP regularly has decent sales on their ink if you sign up and buy directly from them.

If you do go with 3rd party ink, I recommend you stick with one brand to [hopefully] maintain some sort of consistency. I have had pretty good luck with LD Products ink for my HP. I say "pretty good" because there have been some problems - both with the ink not printing correctly, and with the cartridges themselves. In my case, HP 564XL cartridge has a small plastic clip that is suppose to lock the cartridge in the print head. But I have had more than one fail to lock it in securely. However, LD Products was quick to send a replacement, free of charge, no questions asked.

And remember too that inkjet ink has a relatively short shelf life - even if not opened. And if opened, the aging (and drying) process accelerates - especially if you don't print often. So even if the sale price is great, don’t buy more than you will use in the next year, or two at the most. And if you don't print regularly, get into the habit of printing something - I do a test page - at least once a week to keep the juices flowing.

8. JerryM

JerryM Registered Member

Many thanks all. I do appreciate the help.
    Best, Jerry

9. Freki123

Freki123 Registered Member

Before I buy a new printer I always look if 3rd party ink is available. If not and the original ink prices are laughable as usual I buy another model where 3rd party ink is offered for.

Edit: For my personal use I just bought some 3rd party ink from an ebay shop and if it was ok I just bought it again and again. For me it worked our so far ok :)

10. monkeylove

monkeylove Registered Member

I also use laser printers for documents that are mostly text.

11. Bill_Bright

I don't understand your point. OEM toner is very expensive too - which is why 3rd party toner is very popular.

12. Surt

Surt Registered Member

I didn't want to off-topic in my #5 above at the time of posting, but as the points were mentioned...

Shameless plug for laser printers:

For me, years ago in the ink vs toner pros/cons, toner won out. Even budget "laser" (they use LEDs now) color printers are adequate for professionally produced documents, reports and publications. In the long run, operational costs win out.

https://www.tomsguide.com/us/inkjet-vs-laser-printers,review-6199.html

If you don't need color, a dot-matrix monocolor laser printer is dirt cheap to buy and use over the long run of 12-15,000 sheets.

Whereas I've had a love-HATE relationship with inkjets over almost 15 years, my four year old $130 on sale Brother has been a joy to use. Toner carts last "forever" (still working with the color ones) and even the Brother ones are cheap, relieving one from the factory vs re-manufactured dilemma. No one I ever handed a glossy color or text print out to ever said, "Yuk. You used toner for this?"

Unless your needs, usually professional, require the visual or archival qualities of dye or pigment ink respectively, toner is the way to go. If not already owned, a laser printer should be a serious consideration for your next purchase.

13. zapjb

zapjb Registered Member

The same here.

14. roger_m

roger_m Registered Member

The following is an excellent article about generic versus genuine ink cartridges. I've quoted some sections, but it's worth reading the whole article.
    https://www.inkhub.com.au/ink/common-myths-about-generic-printer-cartridges

15. monkeylove

monkeylove Registered Member

I don't know what happens if one factors in depreciation for the printer itself, but cost per page is usually lower for laser printer, even for OEM toners:

https://www.tomsguide.com/us/inkjet-vs-laser-printers,review-6199.html

It gets even lower with refilled toners, which we've been using for years.

Of course, this applies to printing text documents.

16. Keatah

Keatah Registered Member

Mmm.. Best thing, speaking from 30 years experience, is keep the ink flowing. Print test pages every now and then.

17. Bill_Bright

The problem I have with that Ink Hub article is it is written by a site that sells aftermarket inks. So of course they are going to say aftermarket ink is just as good. And I note the author clearly states there is a difference between many genuine inks and the third party inks. Since the ink formula also has an impact on the functionality of the print heads and jets, that alone should give us concern about using 3rd party inks.

As I noted above, the biggest problem with 3rd party ink is a lack of consistency. This lack of consistency is seen between brands of 3rd party inks and even between batches within the same brand. If you buy genuine a Canon PG-240 XP Black ink cartridge in Los Angeles, London, Dubai, Bogota, or Hong Kong, you can be assured the ink inside is consistently the correct formula for your specific printer.

If you buy a 3rd party PG-240 XL at Walmart and go across the street to OfficeMax to buy another PG-240 XL, you can be assured the two inks are slightly different from the genuine Canon ink, and even slightly different from each other! That's because ink jet ink is very sophisticated stuff with secret formulas guarded like the formula for Coca-Cola!

Consumer Union does not make or sell inks. They are a non-profit consumer protection, and consumer product review organization. Consumers Union not only does extensive laboratory testing, they survey 1000s of actual users and their "Consumer Reports" magazine subscribers. Consumer Union's only biases are for us consumers, not the manufacturers. If you want a good read, this from Consumer Reports is it.

Thinking of Using Third-Party Printer Ink Cartridges? Read This First. Highlights include:
    • although many consumers like third-party printer inks, the products don’t always work well
    • In CR's printers survey, 36 percent [of respondents] think they’re not up to par
    • Our testers have found inconsistencies with third-party cartridges
    • some samples worked without any problems but that other samples of the same products “set off warning messages from their printer or failed to print a test page.”
    • some aftermarket inks worked initially but quickly clogged printer heads
    One of the bigger issues with 3rd party inks is the warranty for the printing device. If the printer manufacturers determines the aftermarket ink or cartridge damaged the printing device, the warranty is void.

So at the very least, I recommend using genuine ink cartridges while the printer is still under warranty.

18. xxJackxx

xxJackxx Registered Member

I've used generic laser toner without issue. Every time I've seen generic ink used in inkjet or solid ink printers they failed before all of the ink was used. The cost to replace the printers (especially the solid ink ones) far exceeded the money saved on ink. Make your own choice at your own risk but I won't do it again unless it's a laser printer.

19. JerryM

JerryM Registered Member

Many printers are very inexpensive (cheap). If by chance my printer fails I'll Ditch it and get an HP.
    Jerry

20. Bill_Bright

I think that is actually part of the problem. Printer have become almost disposable items to the point the makers knowingly sell them for a loss, knowing they will recoup the cost with consumables.

I would only ask folk properly dispose of those devices at authorized electronics recycling centers to help keep hazardous waste out of our landfills.

21. JerryM

JerryM Registered Member

I bought a set from Inksmile. I did not think of their being made in China. Too soon to to tell about problems.

I won’t buy from China if I know it unless no other source.

Thanks for all the help. Guess I’ll just pay more for US products

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.