Reliable Review for Anti-executable Software?

Discussion in 'other anti-malware software' started by guest, Jan 8, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. guest

guest Guest

Anybody knows of a professional review a la AV Comparative for AE software? I couldn't find it at all. The only reviews I've got are just stereotypical home style articles. No intention to insult those reviews, they're just not enough for me. I need a review about test reports of various AE software that is not only use EXE but also all types of executables like DLL, VBS, SYS, etc. Something that goes more in-depth. Is there any review like that? Thank you.

2. Behold Eck

Behold Eck Registered Member

That`s a no then but a great idea anyway.

Maybe one of those wonderful companies/magazines out there could kindly see their way to putting a few A_E`s through their paces ?

3. guest

guest Guest

I'm quite pessimistic that they would. Most reviews I've read about AE are kind of too soft. I mean, they just tell us about "this AE could block unauthorized EXE" but nobody really tells about how far could that AE go. A comparative review like AV Comp's would be an interesting test to read.

4. MrBrian

MrBrian Registered Member

5. guest

guest Guest

@MrBrian

Thanks for the links.

I also have tried to search that way, both on Google and Bing. What I usually get are either home-style reviews or versus polls. There are also some in-depth old threads but that's basically the most informative ones I could get.

6. MrBrian

@GrafZeppelin: You're welcome :).

Have you tried using Google's filetype operator?

Maybe searches at http://scholar.google.com/ might help too.

7. MrBrian

8. guest

guest Guest

Thanks. I'll see if I can find more readings as well.

9. MrBrian

10. MrBrian

"Application Whitelisting: Panacea or Propaganda" - direct pdf link hxxp://www.sans.org/reading-room/whitepapers/application/application-whitelisting-panacea-propaganda-33599

11. noone_particular

noone_particular Registered Member

The results of any such comparison would have to take the AE/HIPS settings into account to have any meaning. Firewalls were compared this way using leaktests. Even with firewalls that didn't include HIPS components, over half the leaktests could be defeated with tight rules. With the default rules, the firewalls failed. With AEs and HIPS, the results would be worse. Most AEs and HIPS are very capable of protecting the users system, but they will only perform as well as the user configures them.

12. MrBrian

13. harshisthere

harshisthere Registered Member

I was reading recently that European Union recommends Application Whitelisting, Updated Software, Good Antivirus for security. You will hear that stolen certificates are used to sign viruses. Novirusthanks Exe Radar Pro will prevent any exe to run if you do not allow it to run explicitly. You can see youtube videos proving the technology.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.