[Release] RVS 2008 Personal Edition

Discussion in 'sandboxing & virtualization' started by Coldmoon, Mar 19, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Huupi

Huupi Registered Member

Hello, My take on this, if the software is really that good i gladly pay for it,don't bother with expire/reregistration/limited functionality,and also to show some respect to its developpers. :)

2. Firebytes

Firebytes Registered Member

I concur Huupi that software developers should be compensated for their efforts. Maybe you have hit on part of what my beef is though. Even if I pay for the program it still ceases to function after a year. I guess many programs are doing this now-a-days though. Seems anymore we don't really purchase programs, we just rent them.

For what it's worth, I would use Returnil even if it went paid I guess (if I could afford it every year) because I do think it is that good. It works like a champ and is so simple to use even I can do it :D. I just needed to vent a little I guess.

Thanks for the reply.

3. twl845

twl845 Registered Member

If I remember right, the paid version shuts down also at the end of the year unless you remember to re-register and pay an 80% fee for the next year.
    The part that gets me is that the app ceases to work if you don't renew. My AV NOD32 has to be renewed every year, and about a week before it runs out they pop up a reminder that you have until such and such a date to renew or your NOD32 won't get new definitions any more. But they don't disable it. When you're ready, YOU uninstall your copy, and go to the web site and purchase another year or two and install a fresh copy with a new registration number and password. This way when a new version comes out you just do your upgrade and type in your number and password, and you're done. With Returnil it's basically the same, except if you don't remember to re-install at the end of the year, you're SOL.

4. Firebytes

Yeah, thats what I meant when I said...Even if I pay for the program it still ceases to function after a year.

5. Firebytes

MajorGeeks has corrected Returnil's listed license type on their site from "Freeware" to "Freeware (1 year)" Returnil@MajorGeeks. Apparently due to the efforts of firemanjoe in this thread on Returnil's forum at CastleCops.

6. mata7

mata7 Registered Member

all the programs that i pay and use include "microsoft" you can use the software forever, you may no be able to upgrade to new version but the software still working, i was thinking on buy RVS but now that i know this i wont do it and i love it

7. CircleGirl

CircleGirl Registered Member

For a rant I learned a lot about RVS and might try it out.

8. Gizzy

Gizzy Registered Member

After the year is up can you just reinstall the same version you had?

9. Firebytes

If I had to hazard a guess I would say no. Unless you had monitored the install with a program like TotalUninstall or Zsoft Uninstaller and were able to get rid of every trace it had put on your system, I would think it would still recognize the original expiration date. I may be totally wrong though but I doubt it. If not they would have no way to make people pay again for the premium version which also expires after a year. It would be nice if you could just reinstall the personal version though, because if a newer version isn't out by the end of the years time, the company goes belly up before then, or the newer version doesn't work well on your system then you would just be out of luck.

I am hopeful that Returnil will see fit to remove the year limit on the pesonal version, but it is theirs to do with as they see fit. If they don't then I think the least they should do is notify all the download sites and advise them that this version now includes a limitation of one years use. At least then the folks who are thinking of downloading it will have the facts.

Yeah, try it out if you have any desire to do so. Despite the new time limit function (which I hate) I still love how well it works and how easy it is to use.

10. Coldmoon

Coldmoon Returnil Moderator

Hi Firebytes, Gizzy, and circlegirl,
    I posted this at CCSP but feel it should be quoted here so it is readily available to the Wilder's membership:

http://www.castlecops.com/p1077013-Why_trial.html#1077013

Mike

11. Firebytes

Coldmoon,

Thanks for all the information. I feel better now that I know that the current version can be used past the one year time limit if needed. :D Any chance in the next release of suspending the time limit altogether? If a user can keep his current version for continued use anyway, then why make him go through the trouble of uninstall/reinstall to accomplish it? Why not just a one time pop-up near the end of the 1st year as a reminder to check for new versions? If a user really has a desire to update then that should be enough I would think. Just a suggestion.

Also, any chance of you posting the "undocumented feature described in the Chinese forums" here in English? ;) I tried translating the Chinese page with an online translator but still couldn't make much sense of it.

For the record, I do think Returnil is a wonderful product and I do appreciate the hard work you folks put into it. I realize that Retrunil does not have to offer a "free" version of any type. I am glad you do though. Thanks for taking the time to address my concerns. :thumb:

12. Gizzy

Gizzy Registered Member

Thanks for the post Coldmoon,

I was thinking that once the year was up I wouldn't be able to re-install the same version much like how Firebytes posted as a reply to my question,

I must say I didn't want to upgrade yet since I figured the longer I'd wait then better the chance that there would be another updated version by the time the 1 year time limit was up :D ,

but now that I know I could just re-install the same version again for any reason I'll be installing the newest version right away,

13. EASTER

EASTER Registered Member

@Coldmoon

Which quarterly tentative period can be safely projected for releasing the newest developements in Returnil RVS 2008

And what can customers/users expect it to bring to broaden the scope of it's capability beyond what is already is done and done very well indeed.

EASTER

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.