relearning not protecting some startup apps

Discussion in 'ProcessGuard' started by cd2k, May 27, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. cd2k

cd2k Registered Member

When I "Reset to Default", delete all the programs under the security tab, then put it in learning mode and restart, PG does not protect some of my startup programs. My AVG antivirus and ATI programs aren't being put into protecton under the protection tab. If I reinstall, all works fine. Am I doing something wrong, or must I reinstall everytime I want to reset the protection and security list?

2. TopperID

TopperID Registered Member

What are you re-installing - PG or AVG?

If a program does not show up in the Protection tab after rebooting with PG in learning mode, then you can try closing down and exiting from that program and then restarting it again (with PG in learning mode of course).

You shouldn't need to reinstall anything.

Depending on what version of PG you are running, it is possible for something to vanish in the Security tab if it is set to 'Permit Once' and you have used it. This is due to a highly annoying 'feature' put into PG 3.200 to reduce the things on the list. But that should not affect the Protection tab though.

3. cd2k

cd2k Registered Member

In the protection tab all the files associated with AVG does not show up when I put it in learning mode and reboot after resetting to default. But if I uninstall then reinstall PG, PG does protect it after the first reboot. Happens to some other programs too. If I close/open AVG, it puts it under security but not protection. It was several weeks before I realized AVG wasn't protected.

4. TopperID

TopperID Registered Member

It's recommended that you reboot twice in learning mode.

You need to ensure each aspect of AVG is is run while you are in learning mode. Once a program is run it will show in the Alerts tab as being allowed to start and should then appear in Protection and Security (if learning mode is enabled). So if a part of AVG is not appearing in these latter sections, go to Alerts to make sure it really is running.

5. redwolfe_98

redwolfe_98 Registered Member

cd2k, i noticed the same thing.. i inadvertently deleted something from PG's "protection", and so i just reset it to the defaults and started over, in learning mode..

the things that were not automatically added back to PG's "protection", i manually added to PG's protection, using the "add application" feature.. it worked out..

PG must have some special learning mode that only runs once when the program is first installed..

i am running PG 3.15..

6. cd2k

cd2k Registered Member

Looks like PG does have a special learning mode when first installed. AVG and some of my other software are definitely loading at startup. But PG does not protect them after clearing the protection list and rebooting serveral times in learning mode.

7. Gavin - DiamondCS

Gavin - DiamondCS Former DCS Moderator

PG will ask "do you want to add running programs to the protection list?"

If you want normal learning mode to pick up more, try the driver at SYSTEM not Automatic. See the help file

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.