Relaunch XP ?

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by wtsinnc, Jan 15, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. rinem

rinem Registered Member

2. xxJackxx

xxJackxx Registered Member

3. jonyjoe101

jonyjoe101 Registered Member

xp is dead, longlive xp.
    xp was a pallbearer at vista funeral, xp will use its muscular arms for pallbearing duties accompanying the whippersnapper win7 at win8 untimely funeral.
    Xp still a youngster in its heart and will be doing more pallbearing duties before it is finally render obsolete but not any time soon. Its obituary has been written before but it was premature.
    Longlive xp.

4. wtsinnc

wtsinnc Registered Member

5. aztony

aztony Registered Member

6. MisterB

MisterB Registered Member

The slight increase in Xp use may be a glitch but it is certainly holding steady. 30% is a lot of computers in the world.

7. wtsinnc

I predict a cottage industry focusing on the creation and marketing of security applications specifically designed for XP and earlier operating systems. I believe the public wants it and it will flourish, expanding to non-security apps.

The real battle might be third-party secured and maintained legacy MS operating systems vs. Linux.

8. wtsinnc

9. mattdocs12345

mattdocs12345 Registered Member

10. noone_particular

noone_particular Registered Member

Why does SP-4 need to come from Microsoft? 98SE has an unofficial SP-3. Win 2k has an unofficial SP-5. As popular as XP is, I have no doubt that it will get unofficial upgrades. If it works for XP like it did for 98 and 2K, those upgrades could be better than anything MS would have released.

11. moontan

moontan Registered Member

XP is fine.

if you don't mind running 10 years old software on a 10 years old computer.

some newer software i use won't even install on XP.

12. trott3r

trott3r Registered Member

There is the issue of trust.

Installing a SP from a third party which could contain malware.

If the sp4 for xp becomes popular i am sure the criminals will make their own and poison google search results, so users could mistakenly install it.

13. noone_particular

noone_particular Registered Member

That argument could be applied to any software that's popular. Criminals could make infected copies of FireFox or Chrome too. LIke any other software, the best and safest place to get it will be the original source. Beyond that, there isn't much anyone can do regarding the decisions a casual user might make.

A lot of the components in the unofficial service packs for 98 and 2K are made from the updates and patches for XP. I haven't looked at the 2K upgrades in a while but the latest version of the unofficial service pack for 98SE is still being worked on. I'd expect XP upgrades to follow a very similar path. The individual updates will be released to testers, then to everyone. When enough exist, they'll pack them into a service pack. The release of unofficial 98SE service packs followed much the same course as Open Source apps, beta versions, release candidates, then stable versions.

Regarding trust, I suspect that trust, or a lack of it is playing a role in users wanting to stay with XP. Metro might explain users not wanting Win 8. It doesn't explain not moving to Win 7.

Regarding incompatibility with new software, the unofficial upgrades for 98 and 2K managed to address quite a bit of that problem. Quite often, the incompatibility is artificial, eg restrictions in the installer. Changes in file names is all that prevents the recent versions of flash player from running on 98SE. It will take time, but I'd expect to see a KernelEx equivalent for XP.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.