RegSupreme/Pro registered users will be able to update to jv16 PowerTools 2009 4free!

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by tony62, Mar 6, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. zarzenz

zarzenz Registered Member

I've been a RegSupreme user for many years. Always worked well for me so when I saw this thread, thought it would be a good time to try out PT 2009 to see how it looks. So have now installed the latest version build 540 and seems to be ok so far.

Can anyone explain how the licence file works?

I aks this because I always have a zipped up licence file in the RegSupreme main folder and yet when I try to open or extract it says invalid or corrupt, but still seems to be needed for the program to work.

So today after installing PT 2009, I noticed that the program found this same zipped file and copied it into the PT main folder. The program then said I was licenced with this new 5 computers use with my original RegSupreme details.

Then as an experiment, I deleted this zipped file from both RegSupreme and PT 2009 and was suprised to see both programs still working with my licence details intact. Does anyone know how this licence file works and is this normal for it to still validate the program when deleted after it has kicked in once.

2. crofttk

crofttk Registered Member

My license in not in zipped form at all but plain text, stored in the program folder, and its name is "license.xbin". Open it with notepad or text editor of your choice and all the information will be there in plain sight.

3. zarzenz

zarzenz Registered Member

Thanks crofttk,

That's interesting because I do not have this licence.xbin file in either program. The only xbin files are data, data3, data4, data5.

My original zipped licence dates back from 2003 and I do remember at that time being given an instruction to insert it into the main folder and just leave it there. This I did all those years ago and forgot about it until now when all this updating to PT 2009 happened. It was this that made me curious as to how it worked.

Maybe over the subsequent years a different method of having a plain text xbin licence file was introduced and yet obviously this new PT 2009 is able to also read the old zipped file method. Other than this I have no idea how it works but the program must be written in such a way that even if the zipped file can't be opened it can read by the software itself, and then once read, the zipped folder can be removed as the actual licence detail must then be stored somewhere else. If anyone can confirm my guessing about this then that would be great, otherwise I'll just use it in the same way I have been doing and forget about how it validates the program.

4. crofttk

crofttk Registered Member

Ah, OK, I didn't get my first license until August '05, perhaps it totally changes between then and 2003.

5. Bob D

Bob D Registered Member

Re: jv16 PowerTools VIP Service

http://www.macecraft.com/buy-now/old_customer_promo/

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.