RegistryProt

Discussion in 'DCS Freeware' started by RCGuy, Aug 13, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. RCGuy

RCGuy Registered Member

I just recently read in a thread where a program called RegistryProt was highly recommended and considered essential. This is my first time ever hearing about it so obviously my computer isn't protected by it.

What I'm asking in this thread is that the people who know about and/or use this progam, to please give feedback about this program. Also, could you please let me know whether or not you have to kind of halfway know what you are doing to be able to properly use this program? I really don't understand the registry, however, I do know that if you make a mistake with it or delete the wrong registry entry that you can mess up your computer. Thanks, and any help given will be appreciated. Also, does this program act as a registry cleaner also? I have the RegCleaner progam installed on my computer, but I really don't use it very much.

2. herbalist

herbalist Guest

RegistryProt is a nice little app that keeps tabs on the most critical parts of your registry and alerts you to changes. It's most useful on the Run, RunOnce, RunServices, sections. I used it for some time. The only reason I'm not anymore is that System Safety Monitor also monitors these areas while doing much more. If I didn't have SSM, I'd still be running RegistryProt. For a while, I ran both of them together until I was sure of SSMs ability to monitor the registry. They got along fine. If you just want basic registry protection and aren't interested or ready to set up a full fledged HIPS program, RegistryProt is worth using. While it's coverage isn't complete, it does work in real time, which offers stronger protection than apps that poll (check on regular intervals) the registry.
    Rick

3. ThunderZ

ThunderZ Registered Member

Have been using it for several years. As Herbalist said, very nice little program and very lite on resources at 132K.

4. kdm31091

kdm31091 Registered Member

I use MJRegistry Watcher, which is more or less the same thing, I just preferred it because it gives a bit more information.

5. herbalist

herbalist Guest

If I remember, MJRegistry watcher pools the registry on regular intervals. I prefer registry protection that works in real time. With high speed internet service, a lot of damage can be done in a very short time, possibly less than the polling interval. I'd rather see the change intercepted in real time.
    Rick

6. kdm31091

kdm31091 Registered Member

You have a good point. For some reason RegProt would use a LOT of my CPU when I booted up. I never figured out why....RegWatcher is the only thing I could find to replace RegProt for free.

7. MaXimus666

MaXimus666 Registered Member

Is this better than RegScrubXP?

8. bigc73542

bigc73542 Retired Moderator

I have had regprot installed for quite a while and it has always done a good job. And regprot is not a reg cleaner.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.