Registry, Startup, how to turn off?

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by aoz, Nov 1, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. foghorne

foghorne Registered Member

Hi Menorcaman, yes I think you are quite right. This seems to be autostarted from the Windows\Run key in the registry. I can't think why Acronis would need to do things this way unless a) They are trying to achieve Win9x backward compatability, or b) They are trying to make it difficult for users to administer their system.

"a)" Doesn't make sense since Acronis use Services elsewhere in TI. If "b)" is true then it is a shame, since most users of TI probably *do* have a clue about how they want their system to be configured and administered.

2. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello aoz,

Regarding your post #12. Yes, you are correct :)

Thank you.
    --
    Alexey Popov

3. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello foghorne,

Thank you for choosing Acronis Disk Backup Software.

Well, I'll try to explain the reason for doing so.

The point is that schedhlp.exe and trueimagemonitor.exe are started when user logs into the system and terminated when user logs off, since they are not a major services and not needed to perform a scheduled backup operations.

Now imagine that you have started your PC, but no users are logged in or probably everyone are logged off. However, you have some scheduled tasks that need to be done and there are no one near the PC to log in. Thus schedul2.exe service needs to run all the time, but not only when someone is logged in. That is the reason for starting this service on computer's startup and integrating into the respective registry key.

If you do not want schedul2.exe service to run on your PC anyway then you can try the following workaraound:

- Export the respective registry key;

- Remove the appropriate line form registry;

- Use your PC as usual until you will need to use Acronis True Image;

- Import that registry key when needed (double click on .reg file);

- Reboot and use Acronis True Image.

However, in my opinion it will be much easier to just uninstall Acronis True Image when it is not needed and install it again when you will need to create an image :)

Thank you.
    --
    Alexey Popov

Last edited: Nov 7, 2005
  4. Menorcaman

Menorcaman Retired Moderator

I would think that for 99.9% of users the easiest thing is to just leave things as they are because, compared to many other things, those three processes hardly use up any resources at all.

Hopefully, anyone really that concerned about their system resources will have gone through the Windows XP Services with a fine tooth comb. Black Viper's web site used to have an excellent guide but sadly he seems to have disappeared. However, I've found the guide at <The Elder Geek> to be a good alternative.

Regards

5. Nihil

Nihil Guest

and use limited user account.

Leaving default settings as they are and using admin account can be dangerous.

6. sempron

sempron Registered Member

Actually I completely removed the entries from the registry (and switched Schedule 2 from automatic to manual in the services) with no harm at all: when you run Trueimage it will automatically restart trueimagemonitor.exe and the Schedule 2 service: the last will be running after the next boot unless you don't stop it again.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.