Registry Guard Service

Discussion in 'other anti-malware software' started by novirusthanks, Mar 24, 2017.

1. mood

mood Updates Team

You're welcome :)

2. mood

mood Updates Team

3. mood

mood Updates Team

By default common startup entries or other important registry keys are protected.

But installed programs store its settings in registry keys which are not protected.
    For example NoVirusThanks OS Armor is storing its settings in the following registry key:
    "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\NoVirusThanks\OSArmorDev"

Ticking/unticking options in OS Armor leads to a write to this registry key.
    In the case of Processes with administrator rights, they can also change the settings of OS Armor. For example they can disable specific settings.
    To add an additional protection layer, so that only OS Armor itself is able to modify settings:
    Code:
    File: Rules.DB
    ; NoVirusThanks OS Armor - Protection of the registry key
    [%OPR%: WRITE_VALUE] [%EXE%: *] [%KEY%: *\SOFTWARE\NoVirusThanks\OSArmorDev*] [%VAL%: *]

File: Exclusions.DB
    ; Only Executables of NoVirusThanks OS Armor can modify settings:
    [%OPR%: WRITE_VALUE] [%EXE%: *:\Program Files\NoVirusThanks\OSArmorDevSvc\OSArmor*.exe] [%KEY%: *\SOFTWARE\NoVirusThanks\OSArmorDev*] [%VAL%: *]

4. mood

mood Updates Team

Registry Guard Service v1.6 Released (20 September 2018)
    http://www.novirusthanks.org/products/registry-guard-service/

5. paulderdash

paulderdash Registered Member

@mood Is this free for personal use?

6. mood

mood Updates Team

7. paulderdash

:thumb: Thanks, I have used it. Was just wondering if anything had changed.

8. mood

mood Updates Team

9. paulderdash

@mood Noob question. To update the service, can I simply stop the service, install over the stop and restart?

10. mood

mood Updates Team

If you have not made any modifications to the configuration (Exclusions.DB, Rules.DB, etc.) then these files can simply be overwritten with the new ones.
    But if there are own modifications, make sure to not simply overwrite these files.

The files uninstall.bat/install.bat can be used but stopping of the service, replacing old files with new files and starting of the service should be sufficient.

11. paulderdash

Nevertheless, I must have messed something up in my upgrade to v1.6, because started experiencing mysterious symptoms like bad installs, not being able to change DNS, etc. - in spite of (still) being set to 'Passive' in config.ini.

Uninstalled for now.

12. mood

mood Updates Team

Confirmed.
    There is something wrong with the Passive Mode.
    Actions are correctly logged with "-=== Passive Mode ===-" but it is also blocking actions. After setting it to Passive Mode it should only log but never block.

Example:
    Today i wanted to register a context menu, switched Registry Guard Service to Passive Mode but registering of the context menu was prevented and the utility (Detect It Easy) throw an error.
    1) Registry Guard Service_passive_mode_register.png 2) Registry Guard Service_passive_mode_failed.png
    Code:
    -=== Passive Mode ===-
    Operation: Write Value
    Process: [6320]C:\***\DIE\stuff\die.exe
    Key: \REGISTRY\MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Classes\exefile\shell\Detect It Easy\command
    Value: (Default)
    New Value Data: "C:\***\DIE\stuff\die.exe" "%1"
    Rule: [%OPR%: WRITE_VALUE] [%EXE%: *] [%KEY%: *\SOFTWARE\Classes\exefile*] [%VAL%: *]

After stopping of Registry Guard Service the tool was able to correctly modify the registry and the contextmenu is also working.

13. paulderdash

Thanks for this, I think the issue seems to have crept in with v1.6?

I didn't think I had done anything wrong when updating to v1.6. I stopped the service, replaced old files with new files and started of the service as you mentioned in #85.

14. mood

mood Updates Team

Yes, the issue was introduced with v1.6.
    = Modifications of protected registry keys while in Passive Mode will simply be reverted.

After a downgrade to v1.5 i can see that protected registry keys can be modified and it is only logged
    = Passive Mode is working as intended.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.