Registry Cleaners

Discussion in 'polls' started by Straight Shooter, Jan 11, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Hi.
    I have gone through many registry cleaners and many reclonings.. LOL..
    I am convienced that jv16 power tools is the best! I still can't swallow that because it's free!!! I also own Regvac, but I think that messed something up, and tehn I also bought Registry First Aid, which is okay, but I don't think it cleans up well..

What are your thoughts?
    Thanks,
    "Shooter"...

2. *Ari*

*Ari* Registered Member

Well yes, I have to agree with Straight Shooter, Jv 16 does it all when we talk about registry cleaning. System Mechanic is such a good tool too but it does so much other things like modem optimizing. All of tools might have good and bad sides. Jv 16 makes back up very pretty, and restoring can be found on the same feature; no need to go finding the backup by launching win explorer.

One more time I have to ask who knows EasyCleaner?. I have it too. When I need to disable something at start up I go launching Jv16 for sure. When I need to find temp files, EasyCleaner works the best. I do not like Jv16´s temp file cleanup, it can mess things if something goes wrong.

Thank you for the good poll

*Ari*

3. I've heard of EasyCleaner, but I think it doesn't work under XP.. I have XP Home..Correct me if I'm wrong...
    Yes, the temp file tool in JV16 is a bit scary.. System Mechanic is safe, but it tends to leave a lot of crud in, too...

4. sk

sk Registered Member

I've always used and liked Regcleaner for the temp cleanup utility (do them all! lol) and also the startup and uninstall features. I know they're made by the same developer, and I never understood why the temp cleaner got so scary in JV16. I still prefer and use good old Regcleaner. In the poll, where you have 'Regclean', is that another product, or is that Regcleaner?

sk

5. Hello, SK!

Regclean is a product made by the Microsoft Development Team. It's freeware, and I tried it, but I did not care for it. It basically deletes entries without giving you any feedback. I know it used to be popular but I think that's dying out, now...

I like Regcleaner, and to be honest, I thought it was better than jv16 in some ways. The only reason I don't use it is because I am under the impression that jv16 is an updated version.. Also, I heard Jouni is no longer developing Regcleaner and he is phasing it out..

6. Hi...
    I tested EasyCleaner.. I can't use it.. It doesn't delete the .back files in TDS.. It doesn't ask me whether or not it should delete the files it can't delete upon reboot.. I can't use it.. Seems good as a registry cleaner...though..

The other problem is in XP, you have to exclude "help" from the registry cleaning, otherwise you'll lose the help files from Microsoft..

7. *Ari*

*Ari* Registered Member

Straight Shooter

Ok, but Tony Arts promises EC works with all OS ?
    I got one more feature installed named UltraWipe. It has one lovely option: Wild card !! I am allowed to add any ANY existing extension to be wiped, as well saved. :)

*Ari*

8. sk

sk Registered Member

I agree 100% on the Regcleaner part of your post; that's why I tried JV16, because it was supposed to be 'better' and support for Regcleaner had stopped. But I still like Regcleaner better and so I keep using it. As long as it still works, it doesn't seem like I need support, because it's not like an AV program that needs constant db updates.

And please correct me if I'm wrong on this, but if I'm not mistaken, I THINK the program you're referring to, developed originally by MS but now available from ASH is called CleanReg2. I've used that one also but stopped because I found it sometimes - by my choices - ended up hosing my system, whereas Regcleaner never did. I'll post the link to the Son of Spy site where the CleanReg program I'm talking can be d/l'd. I don't have a direct link I don't think to the site; I'm not even sure it exists any more. But if you want to you can d/l it and tell me if that's the same one you're calling Regclean.

sk

Attached Files:

9. *Ari*

*Ari* Registered Member

ONE more thing...

Before cleaning always make a back up first. You can avoid troubles. I use for backing up just registry editor itself and windows backup feature which is different in every existing os I think.

Thank you :)
    *Ari*

10. Hello, SK...

First... I agree with you on Regcleaner, the only thing that got me nervous is because I use WIN XP Home Edition.. I figured if any iimprovements are made fro this OS, then I'll find them in JV, not Regcleaner..

Check out this link and look at who makes it..

http://download.com.com/3000-2094-881470.html

The above link is from CNET.. I could not believe it myself.. but Microsoft makes it...

11. Holy Crap! I just noticed it's only for Win 95!

Time to reformat my HD!!!

12. sk

sk Registered Member

Right, Straight Shooter. "Regclean 4.1" is a little MS utility sort of thing. It's got no user input; it runs a little routine; you click: CLEAN. And it's done. But every time I'd run RegCleaner afterwards, it would always find other stuff too. Cleanreg is a program that I think was an off shoot of the 'power toys' folks, that then got produced by ASH, and now is just abandoneware. Glad we got that straight, straight shooter. :D
    sk

13. Uguel707

Uguel707 Graphic Artist

14. sk

sk Registered Member

Holy Moly, would ya LOOK at her go!!!! :D Now THAT'S some good energy there folks! Woah Nelly! That made my day!
    Thanks again, U.
    :D
    sk

15. Tassie_Devils

Tassie_Devils Global Moderator

I never understood why the temp cleaner got so scary in JV16.
    sk

LOL. I just voted in this thread and was amazed [even though only 5 votes] that it's 100% for jv16 Power Tools.

Now, that highlighted remark by sk. YEP. I too found it a bit scary both to configure and run. First it won't "hold" my setting to MOVE to Trash Bin [Recycle, whatever, I am so used to MACS at work, I have renamed mine Trash] instead of it arbitarily removing them straight up.

It's the only one I leave to System Mechanic which I think does an excellent job, and Internet Sweeper, so both combined for Temp*/TIF

However, back on topic. I use jv16 Power Tools for Registry as it *really* finds stuff the others do miss. IMO.

System Mechanic does *occasionally* find some to remove after I have done that, but not all the time. So jv16 Primary, SysMech back-up.

16. Tassie_Devils

Hi Uguel: Yes, it can be daunting, but if you carefully read each entry first, it usually will tell you/jog your memory, that what jv16 is trying to delete is of no value.

See my screen shot. I first approached it that way, and it helped until finally I got it down to zero registry entries, so now I just delete anything it finds, BUT BACK UP.

In my pic you can see that some pics I did have on desktop no longer exist, so Registry entry useless.

[sk will recognise one of them, lol]

Cheers, TAZ>

Attached Files:

17. sk

sk Registered Member

You know Taz, you have a good eye for images! :D

18. octogen

octogen Registered Member

Yep! My sentiments exactly!

19. :D

Very interesting ..

Not one vote for Registry First Aid?

I used that for awhile, but I thought jv16 went in deeper...

THIS FORUM AREA SEEMS TO LOVE JV16!!!!!!

Well, the way I deal with the Temp files is I just let Tracks Eraser Pro deal with them..

But I don't want this to change to a cleaners forum..

I just Formatted and reinstalled my computer, paying close attention to what's going on..

JV16 is running great! No lockups, freezes, etc..

20. Blackcat

Blackcat Registered Member

I am currently using RegSeeker - a freeware program, which so far has been very good. I have tried JV16, EasyCleaner and others but I am staying with this for now. Recently I could not reinstall my firewall-LookNStop- because I had not removed all the valid registry keys. I tried EasyCleaner, JV16 and one or two others but RegSeeker was the only one to find a registry key which the others did not.

Past experience with some registry cleaners have been daunting, as they have hosed my system completely. A backup program I use-WinRescue- has saved me from reformatting a number of times in these cases. Use any of these programs with care.

21. Tassie_Devils

Hi Straight Shooter:)

Sorry, I have never even heard of it, lol.

Yes Blackcat, that is the key, caution/backups/discretion/backups/simple first steps/and more backups :)

Cheers, TAS

22. sk

sk Registered Member

Caution once again rules the day here at the forum! :)
    sk

23. I'm sorry, but I won't buy anything from www.superwin.com , the company that makes WInRescue..

They also make RegVac. That software lives up to it's name, in which I attribute it to many "hosings" of my system until I stopped using it.. It won't give you the option to exclude entries.. (Maybe now it does, but I don't think so...)
    The thing that got to me about Superwin is the tactics they use.. About 3 months ago I got an email from the developer (I should have saved it)..imploring me to go to ZDNet and C/NET to put positive postings on because their was a "conspiracy" of sorts to make RegVac look bad! Is he kidding me? I looked at the ZDNet and Regvac was like 60-40.. now that I know better, I'm sure the developer was probably some of those positive posts.. I wanted to reply to him with the heading; "GROW UP!" but I didn't bother..

Instead of wasting $25 on WinRescue, I made 3 clones of my computer, at 3 different stages...

1. Bare essentials, plus jv16 and Tracks Eraser Pro

2. Everything except Av and Firewall installed...

3. Everything with Firewall and AV installed..

That way, suppose I want to change my av for good, then I recover at step 2 and then install my new av and firewall.

24. Douglas

Douglas Guest

Same here.
    Plus, RegSeeker is really fast.

25. notageek

notageek Registered Member

I alos use RegSeeker. It's a goodd tool and never had any problems with it.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.