Registry Cleaner

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by zarzenz, Jul 20, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. zarzenz

zarzenz Registered Member

Now that JV PT has gone to shareware, can anyone suggest a good FREE alternative program.

JV PT was good but I need something else now that will do a good job and not cause problems.

Any ideas.

2. libbo1

libbo1 Registered Member

I am sad to have left JV $$ but its also a matter of principal...

I tried:

http://www.webattack.com/get/regseeker.shtml

I'm very impressed and pleased! And as I had read in these forums, it did do a more complete cleaning than JV $$ and it's got alot of extras too! :D

3. root

root Registered Member

What kind of principle dictates that a person should stop using a product that has been offered for free for years, but now the author needs to try to make a little money to put beans on the plate?
    I am seeing remarks all over the place about people being upset because the program is no longer free. I don't understand it. Juoni has worked hard for a long time and offered his work up free all along. He tried to rely on donations, but that didn't work. He still offers the regcleaner free.
    It's one thing when people don't have the money to pay for another program, but there is no reason for people to get upset at Juoni for asking people to pay for his work.
    He asked a business consultant how much he should charge and followed his advice. I think the consultant was a greedy bastard and suggested too much, but what was Juoni to do? He had no experience in this area.
    I'm not singling you out, libbo1. I have seen all kinds of comments on several boards that seems to me to be over reactions to the situation.
    As always, when it comes to selecting programs, pay for it if you can. look for a free alternative, or.......
    I'm sad because so many people got upset with Juoni for asking to be paid for his work of many years. :(

4. Antarctica

Antarctica Registered Member

root, absolutly agree with you. If someone deserve to make a lttle bit money, it is Juoni.

He gave us the chance to use on of the the best registry tool free of charge for many years, don't forget.

5. Blackcat

Blackcat Registered Member

Completely agree, root.

Similar situation in some ways to GAV. I know it's off the thread, but I have seen posts over the Internet stating how terrible it was that Michael dropped GAV.

The guy was working 7 days a week, 24 hours a day, for nothing!!! He can now put some bread on the Table. Good luck to him and Juoni.

As to the post, RegCleaner or RegSeeker are both very good and touch wood I have had no problems so far with using RegSeeker.

However, before using any registry cleaners, make sure you have made some sort of backup, preferably an image backup, before messing around in the registry.

6. paulm

paulm Registered Member

root,
    the issue is not really that this programme has gone from freeware to shareware, although this is disappointing but, understandable. But that the author Jouni Vuorio didn't inform the public beta testers using RC1 and RC2 that the final release would be shareware. In other words he, by deceit had the programme beta tested complete with people eagerly sending in bug reports etc, then at the release of the final version said "OH by the way..." How many hundreds (or maybe thousands) of more beta testers downloaded the beta software than if he was upfront about the switch from the start?
    This developer "shat in his own nest" by not informing his loyal followers of his final intentions till after they did all the free beta testing. :mad:

7. Detox

Detox Retired Moderator

What about EasyCleaner? It works for me but I've got no comparison b/c it's the only one I've ever used..

8. paulm

paulm Registered Member

EasyCleaner fine but use the version 2.0 beta1 as it's XP and office XP compliant unlike the older 1.7f. The Unnescessary files cleaner is good as well in EasyCleaner.
    I also use RegScrub (for XP/2K/2K3 only) and RegSeeker. They all work well together.

9. sakharg

sakharg Registered Member

"Loyal followers" is quite a misnomer. Their so called "loyalty" was more likely based on the free nature of the program: how many of the "thousands" who downloaded the betas actually submitted REAL bug reports, and by this I mean more than "this doesn't work on my computer"....I suspect those claiming the "deceptive" nature of the beta testing would still have complained about paying for the program even if they had been told upfront....and then gone on using the betas without buying the final release.

You support the products you believe in, whether they are free or payware, according to whether you can afford it nor not. The only people doing any "sh...ing" here are the lifetime freeloaders. Tell them to put thousands of hours into developing a product and giving it up for free.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.