Registry clean up...?

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by springer, Jan 28, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. springer

springer Registered Member

Quick question here on cleaning registries...

Have offed a couple of programs lately, including Yahoo, MSN Explorer and Messanger, Quick Time. Taking up space, never used 'em.

Following I ran Registry Mechanic and Reg Cleaner, which between them located some junk and cleaned it out.

Scanning the registry via "regedit", I still come across entries, particularly under HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT, having to do with these programs. That is to say, they are named "QUICK TIME.something" or "MSNMESSANGER.something" and the like.

Is it risky stuff to delete specifically named entries as such, considering that the software no longer exists?

I've done a bit of this, so far without noticeable consequence...but maybe I'm just lucky so far?

FWIW, I also noted "loadqm.exe" as part of my startup...hmmm? Googled, found it to be part of MSN Explorer and Messanger, and otherwise useless. Disabled it through Tools in Spybot S&D, and gassed it according to instructions also located.

Running Win2K Pro.

2. Kye-U

Kye-U Security Expert

I recommend using RegSeeker! I use it around twice per week and it finds lots of unnecessary junk in the Registry! (No system crashes or corrupt settings) :D

http://www.hoverdesk.net/freeware.htm

I hope this helps!

3. springer

:eek:

It came up with about 350 entries...??

This is after Reg Mechanic and Reg Cleaner...??

o_O

Ummm...just how safe is this thing??

Let it clean house? Or be selective?

o_O

4. Blackspear

Blackspear Global Moderator

It's very safe, you can see it amongst what works really well for me, very simple to use and maintain. I've used it for a long time and on a lot of computers, let it clean house :D

Hope this helps...

Cheers :D

5. Kye-U

Kye-U Security Expert

I always select all and delete :D

Don't worry, it creates backups of everything you've deleted. I'm pretty sure you will never need to restore one of them ;)

6. Mr2cents

Mr2cents Registered Member

7. AsH234

AsH234 Guest

Are you sure this Reg Cleaner is safe?

8. snowbound

snowbound Retired Moderator

So have i. ;)

Backing up is the key to all reg cleaners and as far as Regseeker goes, i've used it for years with no problems at all. :)

snowbound

9. Jimbob1989

Jimbob1989 Registered Member

I see this is betaware.

Jimbob

10. AsH234

AsH234 Guest

Is this safe >_<

11. springer

:D

Well, I let her rip...and I'm here talkin' about it, so I guess it worked as advertised.

Now, why won't my truck start...?? ;)

Thanks guys!

:cool:

PS: The "QuickTime.something" is still there as first noted. Mystery stuff, eh?

12. Kye-U

Kye-U Security Expert

I told you it was safe to use :D

13. zarzenz

zarzenz Registered Member

Yeah... me too.

Been using RegSeeker for years now and can honestly say I've never once had a problem on my computer taking all it finds out... either red or green. I take the lot out and am happy knowing they will be backed up with the default backup option left checked.

But this is with my setup... others may be different... so this should be taken into account when doing any cleaning... I don't have too many programs so one must always be aware of possible problems that can happen on different systems.

That said... I've never had to use the backups, which in many ways is just as well because one of the less attractive features of RegSeeker is the fact that it doesn't name each backup... you would have to do this yourself on a sheet of paper... I actually used to do this once when I started using the program... but now don't bother as I'm so confident it works very safely.

One point, regarding registry cleaners.

Different cleaners will always find different problems... this seems to be the way with registry cleaners. I use another 2 with RegSeeker... UltraWincleaner and RegSupreme. They all find different entries and I just delete everything these 3 find between them, running each at least twice in order as sometimes a deletion with one will then produce a bad entry with another.

The world of registry cleaning is very interesting in this regard.

14. zarzenz

zarzenz Registered Member

Thanks Spanner,

I'll check this out next time I got some entries to take out in groups.

Cheers... but in any case... it's so safe (in my experience) it's probably more academic than anything else... but good to know all the same.

Oh yeah... I forgot to say... its been beta for so long now and the latest version hasn't been updated for ages... I reckon they could easily make this a final version now... but then as it's free, maybe they figure it better to leave it beta... just in case someone somewhere gets a problem using it.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.