RegDefend web connection

Discussion in 'Ghost Security Suite (GSS)' started by HandsOff, Nov 11, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. HandsOff

HandsOff Registered Member

Hi -

I guess I have maybe a too oversimplified notion of how RegDefend works.

I noticed a while back that it appeared as though RegDefend had and open connection. Normally I would not be concerned since it is one of my security programs, but then again, why is an open connection needed? If I understand it correctly this is not a program that requires regular downloads.

That said, I realize that some rules get updated and such, but even so I would not expect to see the connection when it was not in the process of downloading. I'd be interested to know what the logic of this is. I actually prefer to check for and download updates myself manually. I just cannot get used to programs starting and connection automatically. This was even before it became a security issue. It save on system resources, and makes me feel useful.

What is the best way to keep updated? Is manual updating an option?

-HandsOff

2. nick s

nick s Registered Member

Hi HandsOff,

My preference is to check for updates manually. ATM, you will most likely see bugfix updates shortly after a new release. The current RD 2.000 installer, though, does not include the latest updates, which are only available via the online updater.

Nick

3. HandsOff

HandsOff Registered Member

Okay, that makes sense. It was automatic updates for a while, so now I should probably switch to manual and see about downloading any additonal protections. This really is a great application, and I want to be sure that I get the most out of it.

-HandsOff

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.