regarding passwords

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by Siamese Dream, Jan 6, 2016.

1. Siamese Dream

Siamese Dream Registered Member

Is there any reason to believe passwords like Roboform are less secure when settings sit on your browser to access than say another password that can only be accessed off-site? I had asked for the password during installation to be offline but alas it has installed it into my browser. I thought it worth asking though.

2. HAN

HAN Registered Member

If I understand your question, is it safer for something like Roboform than the password manager in your internet browser? IMO, always!! I have never trusted any browser's password manager and I never will. Browsers are poked at from every possible direction when they are online. I can't imagine anything less safe than a browser's password manager. Even paper and pencil (which I really don't like) have to be better...

3. Siamese Dream

Siamese Dream Registered Member

What I am saying is the Roboform has downloaded onto my browser console, like the buttons where the address bar is. I tried deselecting what I interpreted as having some type of webpage to reach to login, but it still downloaded on my browser "bar," not a webpage I have to surf to. I was hoping to not have any attachment even if its sitting just on the navigation bar. You understand?

4. HAN

HAN Registered Member

Oh, I think I get it now. You do not want the RoboForm toolbar in your browser. Here is a Youtube video on how to activate the toolbar for Internet Explorer and Firefox. To remove the toolbar, just follow the instructions on how to activate it and untick the box (instead of ticking it.)
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KebokiX11yM

As for is it safe to allow the toolbar? Sure. It's a time tested software that many have used for years. As I noted above, I would trust RoboForm over a browser based password manager any day. But I understand you may not want the toolbar. Hopefully the link will help you to disable it.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.