Regarding Log and Backup

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by RonJeffries, Nov 20, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. RonJeffries

RonJeffries Registered Member

First some background, then my questions.

I just configured Acronis True Image Home to back up my new laptop's "My Documents" folder. I did a full backup, then set up a timed incremental.

The incremental ran as scheduled, but it produced two log messages that confused me:

They are both Warning 11. They are:

Error opening the file. (0x40007)
    Tag = 0xF35F747B3B21FAC3

and

Failed to determine corresponding partition for path '\\Rontablet\My Documents\'.
    Backup operation will not snapshot that path.

I'm supposing that the first error may not be too interesting, but I really wish it had told me the file name.

The second has me confused. I went to look to see what was backed up, since I happened to know what had changed, having changed something on purpose.

When I went into True Image Home to look, I noticed that there was no way in the recover page to recover files in the root of My Documents. When I click that folder, the NEXT button does not light up. Is that on purpose, or is it -- I hope -- a mistake that will soon be fixed.

So I went into the file folder for the backups, and discovered happily that I can browse the slices just as if they were regular folders. In the slice for yesterday, I found the old version of the file I change, and in the slice for last night, the new version. So it appears to me that the file was correctly backed up.

Thus my questions:

What were those log messages telling me, especially the one about not finding the partition? Was that related to TIH's inability to recover top-level files?

And ... are the files likely correctly backed up, and can I recover them directly from the slices if I need to.

Thanks!!

2. RonJeffries

Bump! I could use a little help on this one. It happened again this morning.

3. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello RonJeffries,

Thank you for choosing Acronis Disk Backup Software.

We are sorry for the delayed response.

Please have a look at this previous post of mine that should answer the question about warning messages in the log file.

Could you please explain your step-by-step actions which you to recover the image archive? Please also create a screen shots, if possible.

I would also recommend that you find the detailed instructions on how to use Acronis True Image 10.0 Home User's Guide. Check chapter 6. "Restoring the backup data".

Thank you.
    --
    Aleksandr Isakov

4. RonJeffries

Aleksander, thanks for the reply. Now I have a suggestion. Referring to the snapshot message, you said this:

I suggest that the warning message here (and every warning message, and every error message) ought to say what it actually means. This message, for example, might say something like:

That way, you could spend your time on more interesting things, and we might not wait a month or so for answers to our questions. Kind of a win-win situation! Thanks!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.