Refund for unwanted Vista OEM

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by Longboard, Aug 2, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Longboard

Longboard Registered Member

:D
    http://www.theinquirer.net/gb/inquirer/news/2008/07/21/vista-refund
    http://equiliberate.org/?q=node/3
    Lol: bet that Eula has had a makeover, but maybe not ..
    Wonder if it is the same for other HW vendors ??
    :)

2. rpsgc

rpsgc Registered Member

Yay! Yet another Vista bashing story... like the world hasn't enough of those already :rolleyes:

3. Mrkvonic

Mrkvonic Linux Systems Expert

Hello,
    I think the dictionary word is: tenacity ...
    Yup, that's the word. Some people have it easy to be able to dedicate that much fury to OS ... I envy him.
    Mrk

4. ambient_88

ambient_88 Registered Member

I would say that this fellow wanted to be in the limelight, even for a short period of time. Even then, it was good of him to enforce his rights, which most people doesn't seem to do any more.

5. Kerodo

Kerodo Registered Member

LOLOL......

6. Longboard

No
    Read the subcontext: you dont have to take what is pushed at you by monopolistic cartel practises and partners.
    Obviously HP and others have some agreement with MS to help both vendors and purchasers with a prefigured set-up: no problem, that is obviously what many purchasers want and are expecting.
    The OS is not the HW: maybe he just doesn't want Vista for whatever reason.
    This user went for his rights and exercised his options: that is the message.
    One voice can make a difference.

7. rpsgc

rpsgc Registered Member

Well but you see, people don't give a damn about his "message", especially "news" sites around the Web. They pick it up and make it into a really cute bundle full of Vista hatred.

"What? He doesn't want Vista because he just wants to use Linux? Madness! He doesn't want Vista because Vista sucks! SUCKS SUCKS SUCKS!! That's what we're going to say in our article for millions of people to read because ,... because! Now I'm off to that mysterious and alluring Moa... Moja... Mojave? Experience. Bye."

- Random website article writer.

8. Longboard

Yes
    Read that.
    Nice experiment :p : was it conducted as double blind randomised crossover trial with a third arm for comparison and a different OS in that arm by an independent third party?

Never mind the Controlled environment, attention of a personal 'guide' and 'first touch, gee whiz' effect.

Cant see that: Sorry, as a result should be seen as what it is a useless self fulfilling push marketing exercise. Really, a desperate attempt at positive profiling. Microsoft now using the "Mojave Experiment" as an advertisement for Vista: not science, not statistics, not validateable: just fabulously egregious manipulative marketing fluff.

This is not a comparison or bash thread: just an interesting look at an interesting record of one person's experience, which might lead nowhere.

I dont doubt that Vista works and people are happy with it, I just dont want it now, and neither did the guy in the OP article.

Ok; small bash: Best thing that ever happened to Linux :D

Last edited: Aug 3, 2008
  9. Arup

Arup Guest

I don't see any reason to compare Linux with Vista, its like apples to oranges, both are different entities of their own and the TWAIN shall never meet. Apart from video chat, Linux has it all for those looking for a trouble free, virus free PC experience in day to day use. Vista is for gamers and cutting edge guys who use latest hardware and need to run the latest games.

10. Kerodo

Kerodo Registered Member

I agree with Arup, there isn't much point in comparing Vista and Linux anyway...

I am rather skeptical of the entire article/piece anyway. It says in the article:

"According to the EULA which popped up as he was trying to install the beleaguered and much-maligned operating system, anyone not accepting the manifold terms and conditions, and who was not willing to tick a box to affirm this acceptance, should, "contact the manufacturer or installer to determine their return policy for a refund or credit"."

I just bought a new PC with Vista last month, and it never popped up ANYTHING, let along INSTALL anything. Something smells fishy here.. Since when do you buy a new HP that "installs the operating system" and asks you to accept the terms?

Can you say "b.s."?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.