Reduced Rights ?

Discussion in 'Prevx Releases' started by Dark Star 72, Jul 24, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dark Star 72

Dark Star 72 Registered Member

Joe,
    With some discussion having been taking place in other threads in which you have contributed to regarding the desirability of running with reduced/restricted rights to limit what damage Malware can do, are there any plans in the Prevx roadmap to implement in Prevx something like the Reduced rights that we have in DefenseWall and Run Safer in Online Armor, or perhaps something more innovative even.

2. PrevxHelp

PrevxHelp Former Prevx Moderator

We agree that reduced rights is a good, generic way to prevent programs from doing certain things in the OS... but... the reason why it isn't adapted widely is that it is very restrictive.

We're planning on making an additional layer between programs and the OS which mimics a reduced rights environment in some cases but also has a more interesting approach of monitoring every change a program makes so that it can undo them if the program does end up being malicious. Our whitelist will help drive this functionality as well, allowing programs which are known good and trusted automatically so users won't receive a barrage of prompts or broken applications every time they run something new.

Let me know if you have any thoughts :)

3. Dark Star 72

Dark Star 72 Registered Member

Any thoughts ?
    Yet more very innovative thinking from Prevx. I agree that reduced rights can be restrictive in use although I do not find it so in DefenseWall and Online Armor, I would have done a couple of years ago at the start off my learning curve though.
    I guessed that if you were thinking of introducing something like this that it would be something with a different approach and also probably easy/easier to use than what is out there at the moment.

So, when are we likely to see this development Joe. Will it be in the next release or further down the line when we have Prevx 4.0 up and running.

4. Defenestration

Defenestration Registered Member

It would be very useful if the user could view this information to see what changes an app has made.

5. PrevxHelp

I believe we will be offering this ability in 4.0 - it hasn't been fully decided on, however, but it will start primarily as an Enterprise/eCommerce feature and make its way into the consumer product as well :)

6. PrevxHelp

Sorry about that! Looks like I missed this post :oops:

We are planning functionality in 4.0 to limit an applications ability to interfere/interact with the OS. The difficulty in what we're trying at the moment is to be able to give the user the ability to allow the application to install or not but if they end up not wanting to let it install, it will be wiped out and no persistent changes will be made.

However, this is still in the early phases of experimentation/development but we'll let you know as soon as we have something more material :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.