Red Circle-X on Partition

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by tcv, Sep 17, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. tcv

tcv Registered Member

Hi there,

I know that I'm dealing with a dying hard drive. It's TERRIBLY slow and Event Viewer is slowing Bad Block errors.

Here's my dilemma.

I'm trying to either:

1. Clone the data onto a new drive; or

2. Create an image of the drive, then restore that to a new hard drive.

I've tried an outright clone and an image. The analysis is failing at sector 16,000+. I can ignore the error, but when Acronis shows me the partition map post-analysis, the partition shows a red circle with a white X in it. Ultimately, the partition will not image or clone properly. While imaging the drive on a Win2k system, I received a BSOD somewhere in the process.

Any ideas on what I can do?

Cheers,

Mike Whalen

2. WSFuser

WSFuser Registered Member

use a program like getdataback to recover the data. otherwise u may just have to part with the data and get a new drive.

3. myluvnttl

myluvnttl Registered Member

Have you try boot off the Acronis Cd, and doing the image there?

4. jmk94903

jmk94903 Registered Member

1. Run a program to mark off all the bad sectors such as CHKDSK /R.
    2. Boot from the TI Recovery CD and make an image of the drive immediately (hopefully no new bad sectors form). Make the image to a different internal hard drive, an external drive or to a network share.
    3. From the Recovery CD, use CheckImage to confirm that the image is not corrupt.
    4. Try to Explore the image. If you can explore it, you can simple copy the data back to the new hard drive if restoring the whole image isn't good due to too much damage to files.

5. myluvnttl

myluvnttl Registered Member

Can he do a CHKDSK /Fo_O? What do you thinko_O

6. tcv

tcv Registered Member

I should have said that I am running off the bootable CD. Also: CHKDSK fails.

I am attempting to run Spinrite on it. Maybe I'll have success!

7. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello tcv,

Thank you for choosing Acronis Disk Backup Software.

Please make sure that you use the latest build (937) of Acronis True Image 8.0 which is available at: http://www.acronis.com/homecomputing/support/updates/

To get access to updates you should create an account at:
    http://www.acronis.com/homecomputing/my/
    then log in and use your serial number to register your software.

Please create new Bootable Rescue CD after installing the update.

Please also check each partition of your hard drive by Windows utility:

- For Windows 9x please use Windows menu Start\Run
    then enter the command "scandskw" and test all drives;

- For Windows XP please use Windows menu Start\Run, then enter the command
    "chkdsk c: /r" "chkdsk d: /r" for every partition of your hard drive.

Please note that you will need to reboot your computer in order to scan the system partition.

Try to create an image both from under Windows and when booted from Bootable Rescue CD (build 937) and see if the problem still persists.

If the problem still persists then please download the latest version of Acronis drivers, install it with disabled logging and try to create an image from under Windows once more.

If that does not help then please enable logging by running the installation package once again, reproduce the problem and collect the c:\snapapi.log file (you should collect it right after you will get that error message about failing to read particular sectors).

Please also create Acronis Report and Windows System Information as it is described in Acronis Help Post.

Send all the collected files to support@acronis.com along with the step-by-step description of the actions taken before the problem appears and the link to this thread. We will investigate the problem and try to provide you with the solution.

Thank you.
    --
    Alexey Popov

8. tachyon42

tachyon42 Registered Member

SpinRite is probably the best way to try to recover the disk. You may find that you have to run SpinRite a couple of times.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.