Recovery successful but Windows errors

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by KevinC, Nov 4, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. KevinC

KevinC Registered Member

Hi,

I started having hard drive problems on my Dell laptop and purchased a new drive and True Image.

I have a spare Inspiron 5150 and have been able to swap the hard drive between machines with no problem.

The old drive is 27.1 GB and the new one is 40 GB.

I was able to successfully do a backup to our network server. I then try to restore it on the 40 GB drive. It is successful, however when I reboot, the following error occurs:

Windows could not start because of a computer disk hardware configuration problem.
    Could not read from the selected boot disk. Check booth path and disk hardware.
    Please check the Windows documentation about hardware disk configuration and your hardware reference manuals for additional information.

I tried a couple of things such as installing XP on the drive before restoring. I also went to the revoery console and saw that all of the files where there.

Is there something that I'm missing - possibly that I cannot restore to a different type of hard drive?

Thanks so much for any help.

Kevin

2. bodgy

bodgy Registered Member

This is one of the XP checks that can happen.

Assuming the XP on both disks is the Dell provided copy (does not require explicit activation) then all you need to do is to boot from the Dell CD (again assuming they provide actual files versus just an image file) when asked if you want the recovery console or make a new installation of XP choose INSTALLATION.

After a bit of chunking around, a menu will appear saying it has found an existing install of XP - do you want to install or RESTORE - choose RESTORE.

This will then delete all your system files including any updates and service packs - it will then re-install the system files.

You should then be able to reboot and windows will come alive again, and you can then have fun re-installing any updates and or service packs.

I've just reread your post -- I now think your problem is either boot.ini is pointing to the network drive or something strange has happened in the MFT.

Either way the above may solve the problem - or you can log into the recovery console and run fixboot <fixboot c:>

have you checked that the files on the new hardrive are all there?

I ahve an HP laptop and test TI by imaging my 40Gb drive to a USB drive and then back to an 60Gb drive, with no problems.

Perhaps somone who has backed up to a network directory may be able to help, as it would seem something has changed to point to this rather than your harddrive.

3. KevinC

KevinC Registered Member

Thank you very much. The boot.ini was the problem as my old partition 1 is now partition 2. After playing around for a few minutes, I found that I could use bootcfg to point to the proper partition.

Thanks again -- I'm up and running.

Kevin

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.