Recovery Program

Discussion in 'backup, imaging & disk mgmt' started by Badcompany, Apr 11, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Peter2150

Peter2150 Global Moderator

Hi Easter.

Benefit for me is speed and reliability. Acronis is close on speed. I don't think v2.0 has cloning perse, but v3 with the Hardware Independent Restore should do the trick. I am still amazed at what I did with that. I assume that sector by sector partition, that you mean a raw image that takes every sector. I don't remember now what all the options were. Not sure why that would be that critical. I know I would never use it.

Pete

2. aigle

aigle Registered Member

Hi Peter, thanks for all this testing. Very interesting. U should be the Mod here for Un-official Imaging and Recovery forums.:D
    I am not using FDISR so I hope u will excuse me as I did not understand some part of testing. I will ask some simple things.
    What was data size here?
    If u make an archive of same data size by FDISR, how much time it is supposed to take( just a guess may be)?
    If u make a new secondary snapshot from this newly made archive, how much time that might take?

Thanks

3. Peter2150

Data size was same as first test 19.9 gig. The time to make a new archive of about 15gig is about 25minutes. Same for a new snapshot from archive.

However that isn't a really meaningful comparison, as with images, I always have to make new ones. I only make a new archive very infrequently. The time to update an FDISR archive of 15gig, is about 1 minute if I do it every day.

4. wilbertnl

wilbertnl Registered Member

Peter,

I really enjoy watching you conducting these tests.
    Memories of you turning purple greenish, when I mentioned that you should practice the restore procedure come up...

5. lodore

lodore Registered Member

i still cant belive ATI 9 is the same speed at creating images as shadow protect desktop.
    it takes nearly 3 hours to create a 60gb image to my external usb HD.
    i bet shadow protect desktop could do that alot faster and definatly alot more reliable:D
    i didnt think paragon was slow but with your tests it seems it is.
    im still gona do a backup of my old pc when i get my new HD tomorrow then restore the image directly over the fresh install to fully test it.
    then i will do the sme with shadow protect desktop and check the results.
    lodore

6. wilbertnl

wilbertnl Registered Member

Does that involve a USB 2.0 connection?

7. Peter2150

Pretty funny isn't it. That was me. Know I mess with these disks and restore them at the drop of a hat.

8. Peter2150

The times definitely are dependent on the machine. I've discovered CPU speed, disk speed, mobo, and external drive even assuming USB 2.0 all make a difference.

9. ErikAlbert

ErikAlbert Registered Member

Do you use BartPE, because I think that might improve the speed of ATI ?
    I didn't try it yet, but it is on my list and Peter used BartPE.

My question is, why don't I get a downloadable ISO-file from Acronis, that solves this problem.
    Why do I have to do this MYSELF ?

10. pvsurfer

pvsurfer Registered Member

I'm not sure I understand - are you expecting Acronis to furnish a BartPE ISO?

11. ErikAlbert

Of course, the function in ATI, which creates the Acronis Rescue CD, isn't good enough. It has something to do with Linux and that's why this CD is sooo slooow for backup and restore.
    Why don't they improve that function. I don't care if Acronis does it with BartPE or something else, I want it FIXED. :)

Maybe I'm going to ask my wife to get ShadowProtect as Christmas present. ATI is a snail compared with SP.

Last edited: Apr 16, 2007
  12. Peter2150

That's what got me into this whole thing. The Acronis Disk didn't work on my AMD machine. It is happier with the windows enviroment. And using the DOS environment as test have shown with both IFD and Paragon, especially to external USB you get speeds matching the speed of fingernail growth.

13. Peter2150

Not Bartpe for sure, but how about WinPe

14. ErikAlbert

Acronis seems to have alot of old issues, which are still not fixed. Instead of adding new useless features, they better solve these old issues first.

15. Peter2150

That doesn't seem to be the corporate culture.

16. lodore

lodore Registered Member

i made the image in windows what could be why it took so long.
    its annoying paragon still havent replyed to my email.
    i cant even get the normal acronis cd to boot on eiether of my two pc's
    i got the normal paragon recovery cd made in recovery builder to work first go.
    i agree why should you have to create a custom recovery cd using bartpe.
    paragon has the option of buying a winpe recovery cd for $11 and shadow protect desktop recovery cd is winpe as well.
    there is nothing wrong with the paragon normal recovery cd made with recovery builder thou or the one you get when you buy it.
    why dont acronis fix the corropt image problems with there program first before adding more crap?
    needless to say as soon as i have fully tested shadow protect desktop and paragon i will buy one of them to replace ATI.
    as easter pointed out he keep trying it and in the end gave up with ATI.
    im gonna give up with ATI as well since i know paragon and shadow protect desktop work with no fuss.
    the problem is i need to know the policy of paragon.
    if its one pc per license later on i will need to buy a second license for my new pc.
    also i noticed the email address for paragon sales has a - in it
    is that - a mistake? if so could that be why they havent replyed?
    sales@paragon-software.com
    lodore

17. lodore

lodore Registered Member

yes it does

18. ErikAlbert

Iodore,
    I have only one problem with ATI : a slow backup/restore. The rest works, but I don't upgrade anymore. I'm a lucky ATI-user, it never failed since march 2006.
    The latest version costs me $30 and I don't get anything usefull in return.
    Acronis already sent me 2 or 3 emails to upgrade. LOL.
    It's a pity I don't have ShadowProtect, because I'm planning a re-install from scratch and I need ATI to create several CLEAN images (+ clean archived snapshots) and this is only possible during a re-install OFF-LINE, which means I'm stucked with ATI.

19. lodore

lodore Registered Member

well i have the following problems.
    1. corropt images
    2. slow backup
    3. 4 processes already runnning....
    1 and 2. are the worst, whats worse than leaving your pc for 3 hours to do an image then it tell you its corropt?
    just for the record for acronis images i do them in windows but dont do anything while its being created.
    with the paragon image i successfully restored on my old pc i was doing other stuff while it created the image and it still restored perfectly.
    lodore

20. ErikAlbert

I also backup via Windows, because the CD is even slower at least for backup, the restore with CD is a little faster, but not a big difference.
    You seem to have alot more problems with ATI than me.
    If Paragon works for you, keep it and ditch ATI. Your actual problems with ATI are unacceptable for an Image Backup Software. :)

21. lodore

lodore Registered Member

very true.
    i just hope paragon reply to the much simpler email i sent them this morning.
    i want to buy paragon hard drive manager 8 with the winpe cd
    lodore

22. grnxnm

grnxnm Registered Member

ShadowProtect IT Edition 3.0 released today.

In addition to the previous feature set, ShadowProtect IT Edition 3.0 has these new features:

1. Enhanced Recovery Environment
    a. The new (Recommended) environment:​
    i. Allows hot-plug of USB/1394 disks after booting the recovery CD​
    ii. Allows dynamic load of drivers (storage/net/etc) after booting the recovery CD​
    1. See the new Load Drivers menu item on the Tools menu​
    iii. Boots much faster than Legacy environment (~2.5 minutes vs. ~5 minutes)​
    b. The previous (Legacy) environment is also included and now properly supports nForce storage and network controllers. nForce users should use the Legacy environment. Both environments incorporate all of the following feature updates. Legacy environment is theoretically better when applying HIR functionality towards Windows 2k3/XP/2000 target volumes. Recommended environment is theoretically better when applying HIR functionality towards Vista target volumes.​
    2. Hardware Independent Restore (HIR) and Configuration
    a. Users can enable HIR (in the Restore Wizard) to restore images of Windows 2000, XP, Server 2003, and Vista operating systems to machines with significantly-different hardware (different motherboard chipsets, different storage adapters, different CPU configurations).​
    b. P2P/P2V/V2P/V2V - Supports restoration of images from physical machines to virtual machines, virtual machines to physical machines, physical machines to physical machines, and virtual machines to virtual machines.​
    c. HIR can be applied as part of a restore operation, or as a separate configuration tool to repair an existing OS volume which fails to boot. The ability to run the HIR Configuration tool as a separate tool will enable users to repair volumes which have not booted after a failed attempt to restore to a different machine with some other imaging product.​
    3. VNC Support
    a. The booted recovery environment can now be remotely-managed in a simple and secure manner.​
    4. Verify Support
    a. Use the Verify Backup Image wizard to verify any individual image file, or the specified image file along with all of its dependencies.​
    5. Zero-install Optical Media support (CD, DVD, and Blu-ray)
    a. Supported formats are CD-R/RW, DVD+-R/RW, DVD-RAM, Blu-ray R/RE (both single and dual layer Blu-ray)​
    b. IT Edition allows for hot-image, with zero install, on a live Windows machine (XP+). IT Edition 3.0 can also perform hot-imagine of a live Windows machine to CD, DVD, and Blu-ray, without installing anything.​
    6. High Encryption (AES 256-bit encryption) is now an option when creating backup images.
    7. Visual partitioning support is now available on the “Disk Map” tab. Backup and restore jobs can be also be launched from the context of this tab.
    8. Support for restoration of Vista volumes, with BCD and/or boot.ini
    9. Jobs can now be throttled to cap resource utilization
    10. Backups to hard disks are first written to a temporary file and then the temporary file is renamed to the final filename when the backup has completed. If a power failure occurs during the backup, it will be clear to the user that the backup didn’t finish (because the file will not be a .spf/.spi file).
    11. The user interface has undergone a cosmetic update

This is a taste of some of the things to come in the future 3.0 releases of ShadowProtect Desktop Edition and ShadowProtect Server Edition.

23. ErikAlbert

WOW, I'm already jealous, that's something else than the GUI improvements of ATI. :D

24. lodore

lodore Registered Member

HOLY WOW!
    looks like i need to request the full evauation again:D
    if i request full evauation today will i get the version 3 winpe cd as full evauation?
    if so i will download the version 3.0 version to install in windows to test it tomorrow to compare against paragon.
    i just noticed storagecraft have a forum lol.
    im glad version 3 propersly supports nforce storage and networking since the mobo on my main pc is nforce3

25. Peter2150

Hi Lodore

Hold off. If you request another evaluation you will get the version 2. What you really will want is Desktop of Version 3.0

The IT edition is a taste of things to come in Desktop Version 3.0

Pete

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.