Recovery Media Builder doesn't

Discussion in 'Paragon Drive Backup Product Line' started by Bob Bloch, Jun 7, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bob Bloch

Bob Bloch Registered Member

B&R 10 FREEBIE (10.2) was just installed (apparently successfully) under Win XP SP3. But i'm unable to create a Recovery CD. The prompt says to "insert writable disc" (and click on 'next'). But nothing happens.
    (1) Two different blanks (CD-R) were tried.
    (2) The 'settings' were reviewed but nothing seems unusual.
    (3) The 'activity' lite on CD drive is on constantly but it doesn't write anything using bootcd.iso file provided.
    (4) drive itself works since other CDs can be accessed successfully.

Any ideas ? Shd CD be 'formatted' prior to use ?Thanx.

Bob
    Palm Bay, FL :cool:

2. Cudni

Cudni Global Moderator

can you burn cd using some other prog?

3. SIW2

SIW2 Registered Member

Hi Bob,

No, don't format the cd. It appears there is an issue with Paragon burner and your cd drive/drivers.

Try using Burncdcc http://www.terabyteunlimited.com/downloads-free-software.htm to burn the .iso file ( it's in the folder called ISO )

Hope it helps

4. Bob Bloch

The problem persists ! Express Burn Disk was installed but still cannot write successfully to the CD/DVD combo (TEAC DW-224E-B).

1- is it true that no CD drivers are needed for Win XP (SP3) ??
    2- trying to run Recovery Media Builder the "typical" option was selected
    3- two Paragon-provided ISO files exist in ISO fldr (bootcd & emulator)
    4- when asked to select "destination drive" there are also 2 choices (TEAC DW-224E-B and "emulator")
    (a) when TEAC is selected and NEXT clicked nothing happens
    (b) when "emulator" is selected a status bar appears and a successful completion msg results but there is no "clicking noise" from CD drive and there is nothing written to disk according to My Computer
    5- setting "write CD to end" is chosen
    6- the CD drive was deleted and re-installed (after trying disable/enable) but made no difference

QUESTIONS -
    Since the CD "activity lite" is on constantly could there be a conflict with something else that Task Mgr doesn't show ?

Can Express Burn Disk or Img Burner be used just to write a label to the disk which would confirm that it is accessible ?

Can either of the 2 ISO files be "copied" to CD rather than trying to use Recovery Media Builder ?

Thanx,
    Bob

ps: the "splash screen" shows B&R 10.0 instead of 10.2

Last edited: Jun 13, 2010
  5. SIW2

SIW2 Registered Member

Hi Bob,

If you select emulator - it won't write to cd drive - it just writes to the HD location you specify - or by default to where you see the emulator.iso now.

You can use imgburn to burn the bootcd.iso direct to cd without using Paragon recovery media builder.

It's important you don't format the cd - just put a blank cd rewritable in the drive and burn the iso using imgburn.

Unfortunately, the .iso has to be burned as an image or it won't boot.

Last edited: Jun 13, 2010
  6. Bob Bloch

Hello again: i've been drinking too much DECAF coffee lately and am easily confused.

1- "BURNCDCC" (aka "Express Burn Disk" - i think) was downloaded & installed earlier but apparently did not enable Recovery Media Builder to work properly.

2- Two ISO files are provided by Paragon ('Bootcd' & 'Emulator'). I tried using the Bootcd file first but absolutely nothing happened (as if NEXT had not even been selected). Altho i don't know what 'Emulator' refers to, at least there was some on-screen activity (but no apparent CD writing). Since there is a choice of 2 Destination Drives, selecting the one labeled "emulator" for use with the Emulator.ISO was only slightly better than using Bootcd.ISO (whose purpose is still a mystery to me).

3- I also tried to re-download & re-install B&R Free 10.2 but:
    (a) The name of the original downloaded & saved file is:
    Paragon-134-FRE_WinInstallSN10.0.10.10569_001.MSI

(b) The name of the subsequent download which supposedly is also B&R Free 10.2 is: BR_free.MSI

Could there be a problem downloading the incorrect version (possibly a Beta?)

4- This is really frustrating since the download, install & CD media creation using B&R Free 10.0 was S-M-O-O-T-H. For some unknown reason the gremlins have taken control of this update. Has anyone else noticed this ?

Bob

7. Bob Bloch

NO but this is v-e-r-y interesting:

(1) my Toshiba laptop will not burn a recovery CD using either:
    (a) B&R 10.2 Freebie OR Macrium Reflect OR Easeus ToDo
    (b) brand new Sony or Memorex CD-R
    various err msgs result ("device not ready - unable to recover TOC" OR "drive or disk not supported" OR "disk not empty")

(2) however using my Dell desktop (different CD drive from Toshiba laptop) the Recovery Media is easily created using B&R 10.2

Is there something unique abt the TEAC DW-224E drive that prevents it from burning CDs properly? I understand that no addt'l drivers are needed since Micro$oft provides only drive required - TRUE ??

Thanx.
    Bewildered Bob

8. Paragon_Tommy

Paragon_Tommy Paragon Moderator

Again, you can try as someone suggested to use a third party tool. Burtatonce is a free tool to burn iso images. The ISO image is located in the iso folder of Paragon. If you're still experiencing problems, I would find out if there are any updated drivers from the manufacturer.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.