Recover A Single File?

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by daveski, Jan 30, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. daveski

daveski Guest

I am trying out True Image 9 build 2,337, on a Toshiba laptop running XP Pro SP2. I was able to backup and restore an individual file. Then I did a disk image of my computer, did Check Archive, but was not able to recover an individual file. It took 4 CD's to hold the image. In trying to recover an individual file (before risking a system restore), I got to the screen of choosing to restore specific files, and to their original location. On the Contents Selection screen, having loaded the last CD, began a series of warnings to insert other CD's. How do I tell ATI only those file or files to recover, without the merry-go-round of many, many warnings to insert various CD's. I ultimately got to a screen saying to Proceed, without my ever indicating which file to be restored. Any help would be appreciate. Thanks. Dave

2. Chutsman

Chutsman Registered Member

I don't know the answer to restoring an individual file, but I would say this: You will save your sanity by backing up to an external hard drive instead. Otherwise you will be constantly playing "musical chairs" with those CDs. Even DVDs don't cut it anymore unless you plan to have no more than 6 or 7 gigs of space used on the laptop's hard drive. This amount would probably compress down to one dvd disc.

3. Ozmaniac

Ozmaniac Registered Member

You can only select an individual file from disk or partition image if you plug the image and explore it. You then select the required file/s and away you go.

BUT, you can't plug and explore an image unless the entire image in in the same folder. If the image is spread over more than 1 CD or DVD, it is not all in the same folder. The only solution is to copy all of the CDs to a single folder on your hard drive (just a Windows copy, not a restore), and then you will be able to plug the image and select the file/s.

BTW, Chutsman's suggestion is a very good one - much, much easier, faster and more secure to use an external drive than CDs!:cool:

4. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello daveski,

Thank you for your interest in Acronis Disk Backup Software.

Please note that Acronis True Image 9.0 allows you to restore individual files and folders from a disk\partition image in two different ways:

1. Mount an image archive as a virtual drive by means of the embedded Plug Image tool and then copy files and folders using Windows Explorer for example.

Please be aware that as Ozmaniac has already pointed above in order to mount an image archive spanned over a several CDs\DVDs you should copy all files from all discs to one separate folder on your hard drive and only after that start a mounting process using Plug Image tool.

You can find more information on how to use Plug Image tool in Chapter 6 of Acronis True Image 9.0 User's Guide.

2. Use Recovery wizard and choose "Restore specified files or folders option".

Please note that in order to restore individual files and folders from a disk\partition image spanned over a several CDs\DVDs using Recovery wizard you should insert the last created CD\DVDs first (CD\DVD that contains the last volume of the image archive) and then follow the wizard's instructions (yes, you will need to swap the discs for several times while Acronis True Image 9.0 is analyzing the image archive).

You can find more information on how to restore individual files and folders from a disk\partition image using Recovery wizard in Chapter 5 of the above mentioned User's Guide.

If you have any further questions concerning Acronis software, please feel free to submit a request for technical support or post any of them on this forum. We will certainly try to help you in resolving any issues.

Thank you.
    --
    Alexey Popov

5. daveski

daveski Guest

I was able to restore a chosen file after copying all .tib files from four CD's into one folder on the C drive. But after using the Plug function as a virtual drive, the Next box remained grayed out on the virtual drive so that no choices were possible using the virtual drive. So why have Plug function---what good does it do?

I agree a separate hard drive would be faster/easier than using CD's, but for my portable laptop it would entail too much carrying equipment around. Thanks for the help. Dave

6. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello daveski,

Thank you for choosing Acronis Disk Backup Software.

If all .tib files from CDs reside in the same folder on the hard drive and you can't plug the image, please make screen shots all of your steps in Acronis True Image 9.0.

If you are not familiar with making screen shots, please read the below step-by-step instructions.

- Get to the window which you want to make a screen shot of;
    - Hit the (Alt+)PrintScreen button on your keyboard;
    - Run Paint usually available in Start\Programs\Accessories or another graphics application;
    - Choose Paste command in Edit menu;
    - Save the result picture with JPEG format being preferable.

Please create Acronis Report as it is described in Acronis Help Post.

Please create an account, then log in and submit a request for technical support. Attach all the collected files and information to your request along with the step-by-step description of the actions taken before the problem appears and the link to this thread. We will investigate the problem and try to provide you with the solution.

Thank you.
    --
    Tatyana Tsyngaeva

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.