Recommended Firewall

Discussion in 'other firewalls' started by Xenophobe, May 27, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. twl845

twl845 Registered Member

It's been over a year since I installed Comodo, so I can't remember if it asked that question. Why don't you access their forum at http://forums.comodo.com/index.php and log in? They're really nice and helpful and won't bleep you if you mention another products name as ZA forum does. I'm sure someone will answer your question. :)

2. Escalader

Escalader Registered Member

Good one Mike, :eek: , I assume you are giving me a :rolleyes: . But I'm dealing with what is on MY PC now and MY needs. You do FW lists and evaluations and I hope you keep ZA in the lists.

I still have your old ZA 2.x still in the back of my mind, and must admit I've been distracted by all the stuff on ZA Pro 7.

I'll be back to you with a short list and will reference your work again.

What do poster think?

If I uninstalled ZA Pro today and went to a clean copy of ZA 2.x would I have the same router trusted and call back issues?

3. Maysky

Maysky Registered Member

To Escalader:

Thanks for your good effort on sharing your findings.

Personally, I am still using ZoneAlarm - blocking couple ip with host file and crossed out the send mail on all program. If I'm not sure of a setting, I marked it with question mark, which ZA will do a pop up when needed.

Anything more than that is just too much trouble for me. I chose ZA because it's simple to use and effective. But it gets annoying when your security softwares are not being transparent and forthcoming.

I had began testing Comodo, and will try KIS when version 7 officially comes out; hopefully it will be a good one.

--

4. flinchlock

flinchlock Registered Member

Hmm, I am confused... your reply has "eek" and "sarcastic" smilies.

No, I was truley thank you, pat on the back, atta-person, good job,... :thumb:

Have I missunderstood your smilies? o_O

Really thanks, :D
    Mike

5. Escalader

Hi Mike:

It's not you it's me.

I'm so shell shocked from the "other forum" I can't even recognize a positive feedback on my work! I really thank you for that. Sometimes over the last month of work on this I have felt like the Lone Ranger!

I hope you keep ZA in your evaluation lists since things might improve in the future!

6. Escalader

You are very welcome. I hope you are okay on security. You are quite right to tighten up the settings, it is much easier to do that than to have loose ones and be unaware of what is happening. Set your SmartDefense on manual so ZA doesn't just pop in the soft setting again.

Some of the call home sites zlclient I found makes are really quite doubtful. At first I thought it was just the old conspiracy stuff on spying. But when you see the sites and ip's on your own log. Do the work to track them down it was just too much for me. Enough is enough.

7. luciddream

luciddream Registered Member

If you want an all in one solution, KIS is the way to go. It has a great firewall and in conjuction with the PDM makes a good shell of protection. IMO KIS is the ONLY worthwhile security suite out there.

If you want great free protection, I recommend Comodo Pro or Jetico. If you like add a program like Prevx as well. This program will put your mind at ease regarding leak tests, and do the job that most software firewalls aren't equipped to handle. The thing is tho passing the leak tests is about the ONLY thing it does, and is NOT a replacement for a software firewall... but rather a useful tool when used in conjunction with one.

One way or the other having a hardware firewall/router with SPI is a must nowadays IMO. This is 99% of the equation. After that it all depends on the individuals wants/needs. As you can see by my sig a 3'rd party software firewall isn't a need for me. My setup is insanely light, and combined with good old fashioned common sense is all I need.

8. flinchlock

flinchlock Registered Member

Absolutely! :thumb: :thumb: :thumb: :thumb:

I am using an old 233MHz CPU, 128MB PC as my HW firewall, and have never had any malware, only tracking cookies. Please check my signature about IPCop. It handles dialup, cable, and wireless with no problem. I used it on dialup for years on my home LAN with two PCs surfing at the same time. Even though the guts is linux, it is ALL very simple GUI. The IPCop forum is very very very helpful and busy. IPCop even tells me when that have updates. IPCop's whole existing/design is a firewall only... nothing else... only a firewall.

I bought that old PC for $50 in 2002. Before that, I had a 486 @ 100MHz with 64MB of memory, and that worked find supporting my dialup, 2 PC lan.

Mike

9. Escalader

I have gone there, registered with same id and asked a series of questions.
    Have a look if you are there today.

What version do you have on your set up?

10. twl845

twl845 Registered Member

I've got version 2.4.18.184

11. Escalader

As of this PM, so do I. I'm viewing it as being tested and optimized on my PC.:cool:

So far so good. I never "marry" any software. All can be replaced with some research and work.:D

If a user that's us gets locked in we are in trouble since can't see possibility for improvement.

If any readers know of any tricks in Comodo let me know, I'll try them out!

12. twl845

twl845 Registered Member

Good job. The only thing I can advise is to be sure to leave it in learning mode long enough to learn your system. That way you won't get alot of pop ups.:)

13. Escalader

Right, I'm in learning mode now, will stay there. I put a question to CFW forum moderators about that very point.

Thanks.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.