Recommended firewall for Vista

Discussion in 'other firewalls' started by vijaygunners, Oct 20, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. vijaygunners

vijaygunners Registered Member

I don't have a clue when it comes to customising firewalls and prefer things that don't need constant attention once installed (apart from the initial program entry warnings) o_O

I'm running the Vista firewall and have Kaspersky AV & Malwarebytes installed but looking to replace the firewall. I've been looking around for reviews and 2 have stood out the most, Online Armour & PC Tools. I see a lot that Comodo is a bit advanced and asks for permission a lot.

Which one do you guys recommend I use and wouldn't clash with or slow things down?

thanks

BTW the versions from download.com are
    Online Armor 3.0.0.190
    PC Tools Firewall Plus Free Edition 4

specs
    Vista home premium
    core2duo 2.2ghz
    2gb ram
    32bit

2. Big Apple

Big Apple Frequent Poster

I'm running PC Tools Firewall Plus 5.0 Beta right now and it's running very smooth and light! Good & clear interface, easy to configure. Good enough for me this way!

3. Long View

Long View Registered Member

do you have a hardware firewall router ? if not that might be enough. You may need more security but you may not. In 5 years of broadband with my Netgear router I have somehow managed to avoid trouble without the need for software.
    I wouldn't remove the netgear for any software alternative.

4. vijaygunners

I have this router with WPA http://www.pcworld.co.uk/martprd/st...null&sm=null&tm=null&sku=972885&category_oid=

5. mvdu

mvdu Registered Member

What are the new features in the PC Tools Firewall Plus 5 beta?

6. Zyrtec

Zyrtec Registered Member

Hi,

Although, I'm a user of Windows XP Pro SP-3, form what I've read here and some other web sites, the Windows Vista firewall isn't that bad, if you combine it with a software called Vista Control Firewall.

That's what I've read but as I wrote, I can't tell for myself since I'm on XP.

Regards,

Carlos

7. Big Apple

No idea, I can't find any info. I never used v. 4.0, so I don't know the 'new' features.

8. doktornotor

doktornotor Registered Member

Here....

9. Big Apple

Thanks for the link! ;)

10. zapjb

zapjb Registered Member

I'm using Vista Firewall Control.

11. mack_guy911

mack_guy911 Registered Member

why dont you check out for outpost pro i am having vista and install it form very 1st day still i got no problem.........:) its a great product and now they are giving 3 licenses at the price of 1 which is yepeeeeee...:D

12. thathagat

thathagat Guest

13. Big Apple

I had Outpost installed a few days ago and it slowed down browsing on my system. Use: IE 7

14. Saraceno

Saraceno Registered Member

Haven't tried the beta pc tools firewall. As mentioned above, new features in the beta below.

Firewall Plus v5.0.0.19 contains some significant functional changes and enhancements:

Password Protection – the end user has been empowered to protect critical areas of Firewall Plus with a password. These include changing or modifying Applications, Advanced Rules, Settings and Product Uninstall. When set, any attempt to make changes to these areas or uninstall the product will require a password.
    Important - Please do NOT forget your password. A Password hint is provided to assist in recovering lost passwords. PC Tools cannot recover your Password, nor will any PC Tools employee EVER ask you to reveal your Password.

Full Screen Mode – the end user can instruct Firewall Plus to behave in a different manner when a program which requires use of a Full Screen is in operation. This ensures that programs such as Games, Movies or Presentations are not interrupted by Firewall Plus messaging. The user can set Firewall Plus to run in two modes (a) Secure (temporarily BLOCK requests) and (b) Flexible (temporarily ALLOW requests).

Network Layer Enhancements – invisible to the user. Program is more stable & robust.

Download link:
    http://www.pctools.com/mirror/fw5beta.exe

15. Saraceno

Saraceno Registered Member

A lot of us tend to get carried away using something 'complex', but Vista Firewall Control is one damn easy and effective firewall. :)

16. vijaygunners

anyone for Online Armor 3.0.0.190 or PC Tools Firewall Plus Free Edition 4

17. Big Apple

You may find Vista Firewall Control easy, but I sure don't. I've tried that program, but found it far too difficult, but that's just me.

18. thathagat

thathagat Guest

hey vijay ..
    1.OA...PC Tools FW or Outpost all are good and commendable but you got to decide what you want from a firewall and what kind of surfer you are...careful or risky.
    2.Do you have the patience and know how to deal with pop ups
    3. it seems you are running kav 7 or 8...? so its proactive defense might conflict with an overtly aggressive FW.
    4.So
    (a)stick to windows fw
    (b)Try OA free v3 try it for a few days
    (c)better still next renewal move to KIS2009

19. AKAJohnDoe

AKAJohnDoe Registered Member

I have been using ZoneAlarm AntiVirus on Vista and like it. It is a firewall and AV package.

20. vijaygunners

1. Carfull mostly
    2. I know to let a program thorough... thats it really o_O
    3. running Kaspersky AV 8, Malwarebytes
    4. might try b

21. AKAJohnDoe

AKAJohnDoe Registered Member

FWIW, I have not gotten around to my own testing (as planned in this thread), but the Firewalls I was looking at are listed in the 27th post in that thread.

22. Ed_H

Ed_H Registered Member

At the moment I am using OA Free along with Avira Premium. OA has very good HIPS and doesn't slow things down. That being said, you are going to have to try a few and see what works with KAV.

23. GES/POR

GES/POR Registered Member

Running Privatefirewall for a while now and c now reason to change, works a charm without any bs features.

24. vijaygunners

I installed Online Armor from download.com and after rebooting I just got a black screen with the mouse pointer frozen :eek: I rebooted again only for the same thing to happen again.

I had to go into safe mode and uninstall.

25. Kerodo

Kerodo Registered Member

That would not appear to be the firewall for you..... :cautious:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.