recommended active-x settings

Discussion in 'other security issues & news' started by psaulm119, Oct 31, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. psaulm119

psaulm119 Registered Member

I just went back to IE (from Mozilla/Firebird), and I've installed Spyblaster, but would still be interested in some recommendations for the Active-X settings in Tools/Internet Options/Security/Custom Level button. Since I have Spywareblaster, does it matter what these settings are? Just wondering.
    Thanks.
    Paul

2. crockett

crockett Registered Member

Hi :)

You just got a Karma from me, partly 'cause it's Halloween, partly because you're very courageous to get back to IE :D

Just kidding :D

Been a long time since I've used IE. If I were you, I'd disable ActiveX as a rule, and only reactivate it (for ActiveX which are recognized as 'safe') if it's absolutely necessary to view a specific site you really love.

This can easily be done in IE by putting the ActiveX-requiring sites you like and trust in the 'trusted zone'. Parameters for this zone you'd then configure to accept ActiveX, or Javascripts, perhaps some sorts of cookies, and so on.

Most of the time and for the vast majority of sites, you would then simply surf under the Internet zone rules, which you may create as more strict. This way you'd be able to enjoy any site you wish without exposing your computer to too much unnecessary danger.

Other IE users are probably gonna jump in and tell you more about these specific issues and tweaking...

I was wondering... Did you let go of FireBird because of compatibility issues, such as ActiveX components and so on ?!

BTW, hope you're enjoying this forum as much as we all do, and hope you'll get as much help around as I've received since registering. :)

Rgds, Crockett :cool:

3. LowWaterMark

LowWaterMark Administrator

4. Q Section

Q Section Registered Member

Headquarters - London & Field Offices -Worldwide
    Hello psaulm119

Just like LWM says>Prompt only. It is a pain but if you leave the settings on Enable then you might catch anything and if you disable them you might be frustrated. So compromise and set to Prompt.

Download signed ActiveX controls Disable
    Download unsigned ActiveX controls Disable
    Initialize and script ActiveX controls not marked as safe
    Disable
    Run ActiveX controls and plug-ins Prompt
    Script ActiveX controls marked safe for scripting Prompt

Best wishes

5. psaulm119

psaulm119 Registered Member

Thanks, folks, for all the replies. I'll use java's settings. I was just wondering if spywareblaster meant that I really didn't have to worry about it. I see from Java's answer in the other thread, that the answer is still, yes.

As far as Firebird goes, I just got tired (with Firebird) of having to reinstall plugins, and other stability issues. Honestly, I loved the UI, and still love Tbird, but got tired of constantly having to check under the hood. The suite was ok, but I didn't like the GUI.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.