Recommendations for page file?

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by MikeBCda, Jun 12, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MikeBCda

MikeBCda Registered Member

Hi all,

I know this was brought up somewhere here before, but I must be using the wrong search terms. I do remember there was a fair bit of disagreement at the time, though.

My system is running under XP (home) with SP2 etc. 256 megs RAM, 35 gig main partition which is currently about 88 percent free space.

The page-file setup from the dealer was "custom", from a minimum at Win's recommended 379 megs to a max of somewhere around double that.

Am I best off just leaving that as is? Or continue to use custom but with perhaps smaller sizes, especially for the maximum? I don't get into multi-tasking much, except for the inevitable background tasks, and don't get into heavy-streaming stuff like video, audio, or demanding games.

Or should I switch to "system-managed"?

Thanks for any input, and best,
    Mike

2. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

If it's not broken why fix it? My XP Home forty gig hard drive has a page file set at 768mb. I do have 512mb of ram. I never see my hard drive thrashing.
    I would add another 256mb of ram and let XP manage the page file. It does a pretty good job.

The Eldar Geek has a page devoted to this question.

http://www.theeldergeek.com/paging_file.htm

3. lynchknot

lynchknot Registered Member

1.5x the amount of ram minimum then to your max. I have mine set at 1535-4096 on my slave drive

4. MikeBCda

MikeBCda Registered Member

Thanks, crew. I'm inclined to agree with Ron and "if it ain't broke, don't fix it". I took a look at the explanations on the Major Geek pages (thanks for the links too, Ron), and since I'm showing Peak Commit as well under total physical RAM, it looks like I'm in good shape with what I've got.

5. lynchknot

lynchknot Registered Member

Well, it ain't broke but there's nothing wrong with modifying it - especially if you've ever experienced XP expanding the page file, or claimed that it is short of virtual memory - I have, a few times Understanding Virtual Memory

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.