Recommend an alternative to Chrome OS: easy, stable, secure, private web browsing

Discussion in 'all things UNIX' started by Andz, May 16, 2017.

1. Andz

Andz Registered Member

Though it has been a while since I've been on this forum, I would like to ask for some ideas. Specifically, I am looking for an operating system and software for web browsing.

While I will not rule out the possibility that Windows is the best choice, I decided to post this in the Unix forum because I am comfortable with Linux. This does not mean I am unwilling to use Windows. Chromium OS is not an interesting suggestion because it is so closely related to Chrome OS. If the best idea is simple and obvious, then so much the better. Obscure choices might be okay too. I am open to learning a variety of techniques whether they include virtualization or something else I don't know about.

What would make a good clean slate solution?

Should I consider the guest modes of other operating systems? I vaguely remember that Windows and Ubuntu have, at one time or another, offered guest modes. How secure are those guest modes? By secure, I mean nothing, including malware, should persist from one guest session to the next. Another option is macOS, but I am less than eager to run out and buy an Apple product.

To give a better idea of what I care about, I will explain my experience with Chrome OS below.

I really like Chrome OS running on a Chromebox. I am different from most users of Chrome OS because I do not have a Google account. I only use the guest mode.

For privacy and security, I believe the the Chrome OS guest mode is highly useful (as in, useful to the extent that I don't use anything else at home). Nothing is stored or remembered from one browsing session to the next. While it is inconvenient that my computer does not ever remember passwords, store bookmarks or create a history, I like the fresh start that occurs with every session. I don't really mind that I can stay signed into a web site (or multiple web sites) only as long as I keep the browsing session running. I have the perception, though it may not be true, that the way I use Chrome OS provides above-average privacy and security for browsing the web.

I also have the perception that Chrome OS itself, regardless of my usage habits, is a stable and secure OS overall. Of course, having one's computer controlled by Alphabet is not ideal. Perhaps there is a trade-off between, on one hand, only trusting software that is not developed by a company that makes money from advertising and, on the other hand, ease of use.

The solution I have described above is remarkably easy to use. In fact, it is so easy that one wonders if it is truly lazy. The suspicion of laziness is compounded by the reliance upon, and trust in, Alphabet that using Chrome OS requires.

What if in the future Chrome OS will change to the extent that it will require a Google account? To my mind, requiring a Google account would make using Chrome OS unacceptable. For this and other reasons, I would like to explore other options. It's partly about being ready in case Chrome OS changes for the worse. It's also about realizing that what I am doing and using is possibly not the best choice for my needs.

What could I use instead?

2. fblais

fblais Registered Member

I read that Peppermint is also on-line oriented.
    Can't comment on it though.
    What about running only with a live session?
    Running from a thumbdrive is much faster than a CD or DVD.

3. Andz

Andz Registered Member

I once ran live sessions of Ubuntu from a DVD. The main problem was having to download and install updates every time I restarted.

4. Nightwalker

Nightwalker Registered Member

5. Andz

Andz Registered Member

Thanks for the ideas. Peppermint and Windows 10 S are indeed options to consider. I should clarify that I am looking for a desktop OS. If any OEM wants to bring Windows 10 S to the desktop then it will be worth a look. To say the least, there are reasons to believe Windows 10 S at launch will not be as polished as Chrome OS.
    Peppermint is based on Lubuntu which is based on Ubuntu. One question I would ask is, Why use an OS which is based on another which is based on another? In other words, Why not just use Ubuntu? Perhaps Peppermint brings advantages I am not aware of yet.

6. ussyrsu

ussyrsu Registered Member

I've been experimenting with Refracta. (One of the Distrowatch guys mentioned that he used it.) It may be what you're looking for.

7. fblais

fblais Registered Member

Refracta is based on Devuan, which is a systemd-free fork of Debian.
    Devuan is still at version 1.0, release candidate level 2, by the way.

8. AutoCascade

AutoCascade Registered Member

9. NormanF

NormanF Registered Member

No. It comes pre-installed on certain Surface notebook models sold by Microsoft.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.