Rechargeable Battery for Mouse Question.

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by AnthonyG, Jan 27, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. AnthonyG

AnthonyG Registered Member

I have just last week bought myself a Wireless Optical Mouse for the very first time. And i am absolutely dumbfounded at the speed it goes through batteries.

It takes 2 AAA batteries (the small ones). And in a space of 6 days of use has went through 4 batteries. I have now put numbers 5+6 in there just now.

So as decnt batteries are £2-3 for a pack of 4 AAA batteries that will soon rake up a small fortune.

So i figured to buy (also for the first time) a charger and some rechargable AAA batteries for it.

But on looking there are so many different types. NiCiD, HiMH, Li-ion etc, etc. And each of them come with numbers with them also 2100 NiMH, 2400 NiMH.

So i am stumpt. I have tried googling but am still non the wiser.

All i want is some battery that will last a very long time before needing to be recharged. So which is the best for my optical mouse for long lasting ability.
    (Also do i need specific charges for specific types of battery. I.E one charger wont charge NiCid, and one wont charge NiMH etc.

Thanks

2. houseisland

houseisland Registered Member

3. Franklin

Franklin Registered Member

Any battery that shows no sign of leakage goes into my recharger and they work for as long.

4. ErikAlbert

ErikAlbert Registered Member

Personally, I don't see any benefit of a wireless mouse/keyboard.
    The batteries are a permanent cost and that makes it quite expensive compared with a normal mouse or keyboard.

Wireless Freedom ?
    My mouse and keyboard are always close to my computer. If I put my mouse/keyboard on the kitchen table, I can't see my monitor in the living anymore. Is that wireless freedom ?
    A wireless mouse/keyboard is IMHO just a gadget and nothing more.

My headphone has batteries and works in each room of my apartment, in the cellar and even on the street, if I don't go to far (a range of 100 metres). That's what I call Wireless Freedom.

A mouse with a wire and without a ball is my favorite one.

5. controler

controler Guest

Microsoft USB wireless mouse here that takes one double A battery. Same battery is still going strong after one year.

6. Texcritter

Texcritter Registered Member

Hi Anthony1UK

In April 2005 I bought a new computer with wireless keyboard
    and mouse, the keyboard still has the original batteries in it
    and has been no problem, However the mouse is a different
    kettle of fish. The mouse ran on 2 X AAA batteries
    (I already had a number of high class rechargeable ones)
    but these batteries would only last a few days, I got sick
    of recharging them so I went back to my Microsoft optical mouse.
    I am not saying all wireless mice are the same but if yours uses normal
    batteries quickly it will also run down rechargeables ones as quick and like
    me you will probably get sick of recharging them.
    Think twice before spending good money on a charger and batteries
    unless you can put them to good use elsewhere.

7. JerryM

JerryM Registered Member

Mine seem to last a long time, but for my desktop I recently bought a Logitech M1000. I has a rechargeable pack, and a charger that holds the mouse. I don't know how I ever got along without it, as it has buttons for forward, back and about everything else. I can just keep my hand on it and do not have to move to the back arrows and scrolling is done with a button instead or in addition to the wheel.

If using AA or AAA batteries I use rechargeables.

Jerry

8. Joliet Jake

Joliet Jake Registered Member

You shouldn't need the 2400's for a mouse, they're more for things that need big power quickly like digital cameras etc. (The higher the number the greater the capacity but the less recharges it will take; 2100 will do 1000, 2400 will do 800, 2500 will do 500)
    NiMH is Nickel-Metal Hydride and unlike the other you mentioned they don't contain Cadmium, an extremely toxic substance.

The charger will charge all types but be friendly to your local planet by steering clear of NiCad's. ;)

I'd go for NiMH 2100's.
    They take around 4 or 5 charges before you get them working to their full potential. (Charge them fully, use them until they go flat then recharge again)
    If you have rechargeables that you aren't using, you should recharge them once every month or so to keep them in top condition, a rechargeable battery left for months without regular top-ups will end up with a shorter life span.

You'll save an absolute fortune by buying rechargeables but make sure you buy 4 if your mouse takes 2 so you have a set fully charged at all times. ;)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.