reccomendations

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by Goodie, May 20, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Goodie

Goodie Registered Member

Hi people.
    Can someone reccomend to me what would be necessary to improve the security of my computer? currently i have an updated version of sophos antivirus and norton firwall, i also run adaware from time to time. Is this enough? or is there anything else that will make my computer more secure?

Thank you

2. Patrice

Patrice Registered Member

Hi Goodie,

there are several things which will improve your security. You have an AV-scanner, that's already good. The firewall I personally don't like at all and I don't think it's a safe one, but o.k. this is your choice. But what about an AT-scanner? Go ahead and check out TDS-3. And what about Wormguard, which will protect you from malicious code and worms being started? There are plenty of other tools as well, I won't mention all of them right now... I'm sure other will join this thread and post you a lot of information.

But let's say you have to start smoothly. ;) Right now, go ahead and check out TDS-3 and install the evaluation version of it. Perhaps you like, perhaps you don't. After 30 days you will know a lot more about security! ;) There you can continue with other new tools.

Best regards,

Patrice

3. meneer

meneer Registered Member

And a lot of security depends on the vulnerabilities your system might have. Most important:
    Older Internet Explorer/Outlook Express: Update ASAP
    AV signatures: update ASAP

And like Patrice said: there are other, probably better, firewalls and AV tools available. And once you come back to this site, other guru's will help you decide what's needed more.

Just keep in mind: there is no best solution. And you only have to take measures for the risks that you take. If you're running Kazaa-like programs, there's lots more to secure, than when you're on the net for this site only ;)

4. JimIT

JimIT Registered Member

I would suggest in addition to the above, you take a look at the Proxomitron, which will stop a lot of crud before it gets to your av, and will make your surfing smoother. I wouldn't be without it.

Spybot S&D gets the nod over Ad-Aware imo, or can serve as a good companion for AA. Another must-have in my book.

ScriptSentry or ScriptDefender are good things to have going in the background to stop any errant executions of rogue code. Flip a coin.

And, for a lightweight bouncer with a big club in case a trojan does get past your defenses--I strongly suggest BOClean.

One other thing that can really help lock down your machine is to disable file and printer sharing, and Netbios over TCP/IP. You can find instructions on how to do that by hitting Google and searching. Make sure you know what you're doing beforehand, though!

I like to run as light as possible with a minimum of babysitting of programs--but that's just me--there are definitely others here with different viewpoints!

They are wrong, of course.

;) ;) ;) ;)

Just kidding...Looks like you have a pretty good start, and I'm sure you'll get lots of suggestions! :D

5. FanJ

FanJ Guest

Hi Goodie,

Which version of the Norton firewall are you running?
    If you need help on Norton firewall, go to the firewall section at this board.
    CrazyM, moderator at the firewall section, really knows a lot about NIS/NPF; Joseph V. Morris knows also a lot about it.
    There are good general guidelines for rule-based firewalls.
    And for Norton firewalls prior to NIS/NPF 2003 there are also real nice, free utilities from Sven and Albert; those tools can make it a lot easier to run NIS/NPF.
    Alas, Symantec has choosen a different approach with the versions 2003 (and earlier Pro versions), and for that reason those free tools of Sven and Albert cannot be run anymore with those newer versions of NIS/NPF.

Go to the firewall-section, and ask about them.

As for anti-Trojan: yes, I agree with previous postings: you need one. The top three at the moment: TDS-3, BOClean, TrojanHunter.

6. FanJ

FanJ Guest

I like your phrase, JimIt :)

How does Kevin states it:
    As soon as a nasty Trojan gets started, BOClean takes its baseball-bat and throws it to digital hell :D

7. JimIT

JimIT Registered Member

:D

Exactly! Kevin certainly knows how to put a "mental image" in your mind! :D :D :D

8. the Tester

the Tester Registered Member

Another program that you may want to check out is Spyware Blaster.
    It's easy to use and effective stopping spyware from installing on your computer.
    Support is available in this forum by Javacool,the developer of the program.
    All of Javacool's program are good candidates to bolster your system security.

9. Tinribs

Tinribs Registered Member

I wouldn't be without Startup Monitor, superb, its suprising how many programs want to get 'in on the act' at startup!

http://www.mlin.net/StartupMonitor.shtml

10. Gavin - DiamondCS

Gavin - DiamondCS Former DCS Moderator

Port Explorer ! :D

http://www.diamondcs.com.au/portexplorer/

So you know, can see, and log what is going on :) Help file should be useful, just ask everyone when you have questions ! :)

11. Jooske

Jooske Registered Member

Would not like to miss TDS, WormGuard, Port Explorer and use the AutoStartViewer more and more.
    Did somebody mention Faber Toys?
    www.faberbox.com

12. Tinribs

Tinribs Registered Member

I'm wondering if maybe a 'sticky' of recommended security software would be a good idea to help those in search for lesser known products we all rely on?

:)
    Kev

13. Acadia

Acadia Registered Member

Hi Patrice. Just curious, why don’t you think Norton firewall is safe. Like your Socrates quote. I believe he also said, “All I know is that I know nothing.”

Acadia.

14. Patrice

Patrice Registered Member

Hi Acadia,

I was using this firewall myself and thought that I'm safe... Until I found out about the Leak Tests. :eek: And until I found out about the online scans on PC Flank. The results were horrible!! :eek:

That's when I changed my firewall -> ZoneAlarm -> Look'n'Stop. Now I'm using the latter one and I'm very happy with it. At least it withstands every attack I made (nmap, superscan,...).

Best regards,

Patrice

P.S. Actually this is the same quote of him. It's just translated in a correct way. ;)

15. Q Section

Q Section Registered Member

Headquarters - London & Field Offices -Worldwide
    Hello Goodie
    To partially summarise - what is needed are good programs for :

Firewall
    Anti-virus
    Anti-trojan
    Anti-worm
    Anti-spyware
    Anti-Browser Hijacking

and some useful tools such as:

Spyware scanner
    Port Exploring
    Startup Program Exploring

Each of these is designed for its own purpose. A good anti-virus program might not find spyware and a good anti-spyware program probably would not find destructive worms. The layered approach is best as our peers would agree. We all have our favorite programs in each of these categories so get as much input as you can and go for it!

Best wishes

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.