Rebuild SATA drive w True Image 8/796 success

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by snakedriver, Feb 21, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. snakedriver

snakedriver Registered Member

Background:

I had two Maxtor sata 150 Mhz drives on a NVbus raid array & two Maxtor sata 150 Mhz drives on a Si3114 raid array on my Epox Nforce3-250GD 64-bit mobo. I broke those down and went winxp 32-bits on 1st partition NVsatabus1 and Suse 9.2 x86-64 on full disk NVsatabus2. Everything was working well except Partition Magic showed that the winxp disk on NVsatabus1 was double its actual size = leftover raid corruption. I tried to install Suse 9.2 32-bits on a logical partition on NVsatabus1, but Suse could not (or would not) have anything to do with that disk.

I wanted to make the 1st drive winxp clean and not lose my winxp install/setup! I tried many things with a version of True Image that was about two months old. It could not see my drives even in safe mode using the rescue CD.

Successful solution (the one that worked):

With winxp disk still on NVsata1 and a disk that had been on the si3114 array on NVsata2, I ran Maxblast3 on the si3114 array disk-- to clean it up. I made a partition on it exactly the same size of the winxp partition on NVsata using PM8. I ran winxp install thru the format phase to try to get a clean MBR written -- did not want any residual raid stuff on the MBR.

Updated True Image 8 to version 796. I am glad to report that 796 "sees" my NV and Si Sata drives now from the CD version. I then did the clone of NVsata1 to NVsata2 using the new 796 CD in safe mode. It worked!

I now have a "clean" sata drive with a cloned winxp on the 1st partition and Suse 9.2 32-bits installed on the 2nd logical partition (linux swap being on the 1st logical partition).

I have edited Grub & My Suse x86-64 is up on NVsata2.

As soon as I image everything & store it on SIsata1, everything will be perfect.

Thanks for doing whatever you did to Ver 796 & thanks for this forum! Keep up the good work,

Snakedriver

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.