Reasonably Secure?

Discussion in 'other anti-malware software' started by Tomsvice, Mar 3, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Tomsvice

Tomsvice Registered Member

I have 3 computers at home that I am trying to protect as efficiently and economically as possible. I am using the following and my question is, am I safe enough or do I need to consider an additional layer or two.

Kaspersky KIS 2010
    A Squared Full Paid Version 4.5.0.29
    Win Patrol Plus

I run all machines behind a D-Link router. The kids run everything in Sandboxie and Firefox. I run my laptop normally with Google Chrome. Have 1 system with XP, 1 with XP Professional and my laptop with Vista.

It's tempting after reading a lot of posts to want to add all kinds of programs; but I also read that adding a lot of items can be more problematic than helpful at times. In any event, thanks for the input and help.

2. fax

fax Registered Member

You are excessively secure, IMO you just need the first one on the list and for increase security have separate limited account for the kids + password protect KIS and (possibly) the parental control activated. KIS has already a sandbox. Make good use of it. It works well.

You just need a backup/image solution. :thumb:

Fax

3. lordraiden

lordraiden Registered Member

You can try to protect your computer for free:

Antivirus: MSE, Avast
    "Antimalware": Immunet
    Firewall: Comodo FW
    Behavior Blocker: Threatfire
    Light Hips: WinPatrol
    Hips: Comodo Defense+

Anyway I would not recommend use Asquared Full and Kaspersky (2 AV at same time) at the same time, is not a good idea.
    If you have the license Asquared or KIS you dont need anything else
    To The computer with Asquared maybe would be a good idea add a firewall.
    I dont know how old are your kids but maybe a parental control software should be consider

Last edited: Mar 3, 2010
  4. kwismer

kwismer Registered Member

KIS has a sandbox? that's pretty good news. any other vendors jumping on the sandbox bandwagon?

5. Ibrad

Ibrad Registered Member

Avast! has a sandbox.

6. kwismer

kwismer Registered Member

also interesting - i see that the feature is a new addition for both vendors (at least according to their websites).

i also noticed that KIS apparently had application whitelisting capability. that makes all 3 basic preventative approaches in one product. it's nice to see vendors starting to approach a state of offering a comprehensive toolset.

now to see who's got tools for detecting preventative failures. i remember a long time ago kaspersky had an integrity checker - i wonder what happened to that.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.