Reappearing windows in Internet Explorer

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by gracie123, Oct 8, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. gracie123

gracie123 Registered Member

Hello,

I have not installed anything recently on my computer... and have had the same software for a while now which the only "security" software I have is SiteAdvisor, NOD32 antivirus, and Spy Sweeper. Lately... when browsing the internet in Internet Explorer 6, it's like I don't click or do anything because say I am reading a news article or whatever I may be doing and all these Internet Explorer windows start "reappearing" or "popping up" out of no where. I have no idea if this is due to someone hacking my computer or what but I have no software firewall and have relied on my Linksys router for a firewall and have never had this problem for the longest time.

Can anyone tell me what this might be and if installing a software firewall would help the problem or not even?

Thanks,

Gracie

2. HandsOff

HandsOff Registered Member

Hi Gracie-

You probably will instinctively pull back from this idea, but give it some serious thought, since I believe it will be a much easier and more enjoyable route that what you are contemplating. Install Firefox browser and use it instead of Internet Explorer. I say this because the built in popup and ad blocking is lightyears ahead of internet explorer.

That said you will want to resolve the IE6 problem somewhere down the line. I'd get firefox installed first only because you will feel more relaxed when you can browse in peace! It's a very easy install, BTW.

I'm not sure if the popups would be effected by a software firewall, though it is probably a good idea to install one, I use Sunbelt Kerio Personal firewall.

Another program you really should install is Spyware Blaster, by JavaCool. It is free, and virtually everyone I know uses it. It prevents many malicious activeX malwares from running. It is possible that it might even stop your current Problem. It is also a very easy install - JUST REMEMBER TO UPDATE IT after installing so it has all the latest signatures.

Those two installs - Firefox, and SpywareBlaster are both free and easily could be done and updated and ran in under ten minutes. I get the feeling you are a set it and forget it type so those will help. Do consider a firewall.

-HandsOff

3. gracie123

gracie123 Registered Member

Hi HandsOff,

I've been using Firefox for a little while now... I like it better than Internet Explorer :). Thanks for the suggestion!

Gracie

4. zapjb

zapjb Registered Member

Imo you got to get the bottom of this. As well as using Opera (my choice) & or FF. I'm thinking some kind of malware, rootkit or somebody has remote access to your computer. But ime you won't be fine by just switching browsers. Good luck.

5. HandsOff

HandsOff Registered Member

Hi Gracie!

That's awesome! I convince my brother to try it as well, since his Internet Explorer was constantly getting hijacked! It is so much funner! There are a few points that are a little confusing at first, but after that it should be smooth sailing. For instance you may find you need to install Adobe's Flash plugin in order to view certain pages and buttons. It is a plugin for firefox (not an add-on). If you install it, I recommend downloading it, then installing it while you are off line. that seems to work best. Anyway, plenty of people are here that can help you!

-HandsOff

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.